Railroad Forums 

• Chase Grade - Waterbury CT

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1472509  by nydepot

On the Connecticut Company, where was Chase Grade near Waterbury CT? Did the NH take this over? Thanks.
 #1472521  by TomNelligan

Connecticut Company streetcars were a little before my time -- I'm an old guy but not that old! -- but I can make a reasonable guess. ConnCo had a line originating at Exchange Place in downtown Waterbury that ran out Chase Avenue and Homer Street to Waterville and ultimately to Thomaston, and there was a trolley spur off Homer Street into what was listed on maps as the Chase Mill freight yard. I'd guess that's where your grade was. The line was converted to buses in 1937. As to whether the NH picked up any of that yard/spur trackage, which would have been adjacent to the railroad, the RMNE guys would know that detail better than me.
 #1472540  by Noel Weaver

At one time Chase had a facility in the north end of Waterbury, just off North Square (North Maine in the area of Cherry Street), pretty sure it was just to the east. Up until the trolley lines went it was served by the Connecticut Company which had a couple of electric switchers based in Waterbury. After 1937 this facility of course had to be serviced by trucks. I think the freight cars were probably interchanged at Waterville although this I do not know for sure and came to North Square via Chase Avenue and North Main Street. I hope this will shed some light on this one. i don't know just when the plant (North Square that is) closed but it was still functioning during my days in Waterbury (1950's and 1960's).
Noel Weaver