Railroad Forums 

• Changing Crafts In Class I Railroads?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1307561  by Jim1348

Do all Class I railroads require a minimum of 2 years before changing crafts? Or does it vary from one to another? I am most interested in BNSF, CP, and UP.
 #1307619  by COEN77

Depends on what you mean by changing crafts. Some railroads require a minimum of 1 year working in the craft to apply for a transfer for example going from track worker to transportation.
 #1307629  by Jim1348

COEN77 wrote:Depends on what you mean by changing crafts. Some railroads require a minimum of 1 year working in the craft to apply for a transfer for example going from track worker to transportation.
I was thinking say moving from Conductor to Special Agent in BNSF, CP, or UP.
 #1307721  by Desertdweller

I think a move like that would not be considered changing crafts. Rather, it would be moving from crafts into a management position. Normal restrictions on moving between crafts would not apply. Special Agents are exempt positions, not unionized unless something major has changed.

The major consideration then, I think, would be to preserve your seniority in the craft you left. You would need to continue to pay union dues to the union that represented you while in the craft. That way, if your Special Agent job did not work out, you could return to the craft.

Les