Railroad Forums 

• Change in management at NYAR

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #777056  by rprailroad

I heard that NYA is going out of business , had to do with new management ?? Is this true. Past by a couple of times and looked dead very quiet nothing running.
 #777563  by DogBert

Extremely unlikely. Rock and trash traffic alone likely make it a very profitable operation. The trash is kinda key there. No way NYC government would shrug and accept 'we can't haul your trash away anymore' as an option.

I don't know what their cashflow is but there's about a 0% chance freight service would grind to a halt. If NYA Management can't make the numbers work someone else surely would.
 #781473  by BMT

Back from the dead, I am....(long time no post).

Don't know any specifics, but I heard that long-time NYA Public Relations Director, Joel Torres, left NYA sometime around the beginning of the year. Anyone with more details, please feel free to post here (or for confidentiallity -- contact me via private message). I knew him way back in the early years of operations. Nice guy.
 #781828  by freightguy

Yes hed did leave a bit back. He was one of the more knowledgable managers' having come over from Conrail for NYAR's startup in 1997.
 #782151  by SR4501

From what I know and heard that the NYA is NOT going out of business, they will operate a train only if it has more than enough carloads to do so. So if you don't see train for a few days. I guess it means they did have enough carload to go out and make a profit.
 #787180  by BMT

I haven't seen NY&A use the Glenwood Mansonry siding on the Bay Ridge Branch in many months....I suspect that client no longer requires their services.
 #792344  by RPM2Night

Is Jamaica ash still taking cars in westbury? Either my timing's been off, or they haven't had any action lately.
 #794254  by Teutobergerwald

At 4:15 PM this afternoon, a repainted MP-15ac came west through Rosedale with a boxcar and six-eight tankcars.
 #796572  by Teutobergerwald

Monster train in the siding at Pine-Aire this morning at 8:30 AM when I passed over S/B on the Sagtikos Pkwy. A lot of red aggregate hoppers, I guess former FEC....
 #798306  by Teutobergerwald

A mixed bag of black GATX and red TLTX hoppers came through Hollis eastbound today around 1330, between 30-40 cars, I believe. My view of the power was blocked by the rear cars of an eastbound LIRR diesel train. At 1615, an MP-15ac & a GP38-2 came westbound through Jamaica with eight to ten loaded high-sided gondolas. Passing over the Pine-Aire siding northbound on the Sagtikos Pkwy. at 1945 revealed loaded gondolas on both sides of the overpass and the headlight of a locomotive moving down the siding towards the overpass from the east with cars behind it. Traffic slowed on the N/B side as motorists slowed down for a state trooper on a carstop just north of the overpass, providing a little more than just the usual fleeting glimpse of the siding while going home.
 #798314  by Shavano

The RS30 back to haul the Stone Train these days?
 #799353  by Teutobergerwald

Friday, 04/23, eastbound through Jamaica, an OVERPOWERED stone train of 270, 155 & 151 with a mixed bag of 14-20 hoppers loaded with gravel.......why so much power for a short train???
 #799580  by break the seals

There were 2 stone trains friday. I personally saw 6 nyar trains in total...