Railroad Forums 

• Central Warehouse in Albany, NY (was: Amtrak service temporarily suspended west of Albany)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1612440  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:14 am So, Mr. Markhb, there IS actually a community named such:

https://villageofschaghticoke.org/

:-D :P
Sadly, you can't get there by Amtrak. There's a track but no station and it's controlled by Pan Am (CSX?).

Funny, though, you can get from Greenfield, MA (Vermonter) to Albany on that freight line.
 #1612611  by markhb

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:14 am So, Mr. Markhb, there IS actually a community named such:

https://villageofschaghticoke.org/

:-D :P
🙂
 #1635860  by Railjunkie

Railjunkie wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:08 am Driving home this AM WGY reported work is to commence immediately. I will believe it when I see it and as I see it multiple times five days a week only then perhaps maybe.
Meanwhile 787 is falling apart and there are potholes everywhere but the state ponied up $9.7 million for this
Almost a year to the day and they are finally doing something about the Central Warehouse. Its being wrapped in some sort of black cloth material. I know I cant believe it myself, somebody is actually going to do something with that eye sore
 #1635909  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:59 pm Almost a year to the day and they are finally doing something about the Central Warehouse. Its being wrapped in some sort of black cloth material. I know I cant believe it myself, somebody is actually going to do something with that eye sore
TimesUnion reports that it's more safety netting around the building. Right now the new developers are looking into trying to rehab it or demolish it... and both are looking very very expensive due to the building's condition and the building materials that are in there. There's a hazmat worry there.
 #1635950  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:05 am
Railjunkie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:59 pm Almost a year to the day and they are finally doing something about the Central Warehouse. Its being wrapped in some sort of black cloth material. I know I cant believe it myself, somebody is actually going to do something with that eye sore
TimesUnion reports that it's more safety netting around the building. Right now the new developers are looking into trying to rehab it or demolish it... and both are looking very very expensive due to the building's condition and the building materials that are in there. There's a hazmat worry there.
Its old school, the refrigerant was likely ammonia, I'm sure there is plenty of asbestos gotta be some lead pipe in there too. Most of the copper was removed by thieves and scrappers through the years leaving a lot of cement, steel beams, and cork. If it comes down it will be chunk by chunk and very carefully.
 #1635955  by Gilbert B Norman

So, Mr. Junkie, does this mean that when you operate your trains past this hulk, you no longer have concerns "what's going to make my passengers' day today"?
 #1635971  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:22 am
So, Mr. Junkie, does this mean that when you operate your trains past this hulk, you no longer have concerns "what's going to make my passengers' day today"?
Mr. Norman, in twenty six years of rolling past that hulk as a LSA Conductor and Engineer I have never once worried about the Central Warehouse. The chances of it falling at that exact moment would be the same as hitting say the Powerball and being struck by lighting in the same day. The speeds are such that if something were to happen if you were crossing LAB bridge one should be able to stop. If coming down West Albany Hill the operator at LAB should be able to pass along any information that the signal system does not.

The concrete that "fell" off the building ohh so many months ago had fallen well before it was reported. Some of that stuff had been sitting there for years, never effected train travel. I will say it was well played by the City of Albany.
The building has effected train travel more than once with "scrappers" or "demo" teams going in there with torches to get the copper and causing fires but to the best of my knowledge never falling concrete.
 #1635972  by Gilbert B Norman

In short, there would be more disruptions if the "structure" were to be chopped down than simply secure it, which seems to now be the case for all parties in interest.

When the day comes that someone actually wants to redevelop that property, "we will X that bridge when we get to it".
 #1636000  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:49 am In short, there would be more disruptions if the "structure" were to be chopped down than simply secure it, which seems to now be the case for all parties in interest.

When the day comes that someone actually wants to redevelop that property, "we will X that bridge when we get to it".
Somebody is doing something. What that something is??? Can not see as they have surrounded the building in black safety netting. The temporary speeds of 15mph placed through the area when this all started over a year ago remain in effect for the foreseeable future.
 #1637775  by BlueFlag

Albany Times-Union reports developers have given up the idea of attempting any new use of the building and will tear it down. The cost will be in the millions and there may still be some considerable time before work commences, so Mr. Railjunkie will no doubt have many more good looks at the netting.

As for reasons:
Jeff Buell, a principal with Redburn Development who spearheaded the latest redevelopment effort, said factors that played into the decision include high interest rates, the cost of repairing the crumbling exterior walls and a zoning ordinance the city’s Common Council passed last year. That ordinance would have mandated a certain percentage of properties for the building be set aside as affordable apartments.
Full story: https://www.timesunion.com/news/articl ... GxgEtHL798 (Paywall possible)
 #1637792  by Railjunkie

BlueFlag wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:24 pm Albany Times-Union reports developers have given up the idea of attempting any new use of the building and will tear it down. The cost will be in the millions and there may still be some considerable time before work commences, so Mr. Railjunkie will no doubt have many more good looks at the netting.

As for reasons:
Jeff Buell, a principal with Redburn Development who spearheaded the latest redevelopment effort, said factors that played into the decision include high interest rates, the cost of repairing the crumbling exterior walls and a zoning ordinance the city’s Common Council passed last year. That ordinance would have mandated a certain percentage of properties for the building be set aside as affordable apartments.
Full story: https://www.timesunion.com/news/articl ... GxgEtHL798 (Paywall possible)
I see it multiple times four days a week in a 24 hour period depending on assignment. It will be fun to watch as it comes down and some one has a ooohhhh sh!t moment and suddenly train service out west is canceled for a day or two till Amtrak and CSX can get a operations plan together. Because if something big and heavy falls on the approach to LAB bridge, as Porky Pig is famous for saying. That's all folks.
 #1637836  by STrRedWolf

BlueFlag wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:24 pm Albany Times-Union reports developers have given up the idea of attempting any new use of the building and will tear it down. The cost will be in the millions and there may still be some considerable time before work commences, so Mr. Railjunkie will no doubt have many more good looks at the netting.
Yeah, it was best to tear it down. That'll be fun to do. Think the best way (laymans take, no experience/expertise) would to somehow pull the track-side part away from the track so it safely falls out of the way. Still... I'm not an expert.

Hope Railjunkie takes photos!
 #1637873  by Railjunkie

Once it starts and I have an hour or so of free time. I also have a good friend who is a operator on LAB I'm sure he will take photos.
Now onto something that struck me as odd, everybody has wanted this building gone like yesterday, Redfern comes in gets a sweet deal on it, looks at it and says nah we cant do notin wit it. Funny thing is they suddenly could not once the funding for the new LAB bridge was pushed back a year. Where does the new bridge need to go?? North side of the old one just about where Central Warehouse sits. HHHHMMMMM very interesting way of "investing" but wait there is more its just that I'm on duty in a bit and I need to get there.
 #1637952  by markhb

Railjunkie wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:53 am ... Now onto something that struck me as odd, everybody has wanted this building gone like yesterday, Redfern comes in gets a sweet deal on it, looks at it and says nah we cant do notin wit it. ...
It's Redburn. I only mention it because there's an entirely different development group up here in Portland named Redfern, and from what I have seen they're good people.
 #1637977  by Railjunkie

markhb wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:36 pm
Railjunkie wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:53 am ... Now onto something that struck me as odd, everybody has wanted this building gone like yesterday, Redfern comes in gets a sweet deal on it, looks at it and says nah we cant do notin wit it. ...
It's Redburn. I only mention it because there's an entirely different development group up here in Portland named Redfern, and from what I have seen they're good people.
I stand corrected. I have no opinion on the company doing business just seems like typical NY politics to me. The wall facing the Amtrak track has been pulling away from the main building for years suddenly now after how many people have "owned" the building it will come down. Can someone say kickback.