Railroad Forums 

• Central Warehouse, Albany, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1464284  by J.D. Lang

Its on the north side of the western approach to the LAB. It was a prominent feature when looking north from the old Albany Union station platforms when I used to board trains there back in the 60's.

J. Lang
 #1464384  by JoeS

We've nailed down the location but not the original ownership of the building, and I can't add much to that discussion.

It was served by the railroad at one time and there was a siding that went into the buildind. Some additional details about it can be gleaned here:

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... B#p1464009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(called the freezer warehouse here)
 #1464457  by NYCRRson

Most of the large NYCRR owned structures, (there was a large freight house in Boston Harbor (IIRC)) had a NYC logo on the building for advertising. Free company owned billboard right where the passenger train customers would see it.

You could call the City of Albany Tax assessor, they usually have records going back to when taxable real estate was first portioned off as a taxable parcel of land, and then later when improvements (the building) is added. I believe this is public record so folks know who to sue when a brick falls off and hits someone on the head.

I suspect the similar font is just a fluke and that this was never a NYC RR property. But just my guess, would be curious to know for sure.

It appears that the siding (multiple tracks) went right through the building from west to east.