Railroad Forums 

• Central CT Freight Rail Update

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1273076  by bwparker1

I learned from a friend that the P&W RR brought in a special movement of a heavy transformer, with the final destination being the RED Technologies siding in Portland, CT that was built a few years ago. The transformer has already been craned off of the flat car, but it is still at RED with the movement to the final destination this evening. So the swing bring across the CT River was used recently. Attached is a photo of the load, already positioned onto a special truck trailer.
Heavy Transformer
Heavy Transformer
image.jpg (40.07 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
 #1274291  by bwparker1

FLRailFan1 wrote:Where is it going? That is cool looking...
I don't know but probably somewhere close by... They try to get these things as close as possible. I will ask my contact and see if he was aware of the final destination point.
 #1274741  by bwparker1

SJT wrote:bwparker, that is a great shot of our plant. If you notice where the CWPM siding takes that turn to the left is where they think they can put in a no.6 switch to reconnect us. According to my boss the project is moving forward but I don't have any time table as to when it will happen. And as I said before I'll keep those interested informed on when it actually goes in! As my old plant manager and I used to say, we'll believe it when it comes in the gate!!!!
SJT, any update on this project, have you been reconnected?
 #1291778  by bwparker1

SJT wrote:bwparker, that is a great shot of our plant. If you notice where the CWPM siding takes that turn to the left is where they think they can put in a no.6 switch to reconnect us. According to my boss the project is moving forward but I don't have any time table as to when it will happen. And as I said before I'll keep those interested informed on when it actually goes in! As my old plant manager and I used to say, we'll believe it when it comes in the gate!!!!
FYI, sounds like the switch into the USA Hauling/Automated Materials Recycling facility in Berlin, CT has finally been reconnected for rail service.

"CSOR customers Berlin

Looks like Automated Materials in Berlin had their switch reconnected. This time connecting off the old Emhart siding which is now used by CWPM (as opposed to a switch directly on the Springfield line). Its been a few years since Automated used rail service out of Berlin. "
 #1435345  by bwparker1

Resurrecting an old thread here... I stopped by recently on the west side of the tracks and north of the Automated Material Handling facility in Berlin/Kensington to see if they have had their spur reconnected to the facility.

Without trespassing it APPEARS that they have. I did not want to cross the tracks. Here is a photo taken from public property.
AMH spur looking southeast
AMH spur looking southeast
File Jun 20, 7 34 44 AM.jpeg (458.55 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
It's a very good thing I did not cross the tracks as minutes later, when I was in my car and about to leave this EDPL Pan Am train silently cruised by heading towards the junction; three PanAm engines on the point. Because the train was so quiet I did not hear it coming, otherwise I would have been able to get a front facing photo of the engines leading.
PanAm Train heading south 6-13-2017
PanAm Train heading south 6-13-2017
File Jun 20, 7 35 02 AM.jpeg (428.91 KiB) Viewed 2275 times