Railroad Forums 

• CEFX Leasers?

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1283899  by FL9AC

Caught CHFP in SoNo last night with one of their usual SD60 leasers on the head end with a six-axle CEFX leaser behind that and a GE-B boat trailing. What are these CEFX leasers showing up?
 #1284089  by DutchRailnut

hmm the 6 axle units are restricted on MN, they exceed the max load per axle on Metro-North.
someone is playing loose with rules again.
 #1284160  by MNR's #1 Conductor

It appears PW has been leasing SD40-2s. I caught CEFX 3164 on a recent FPCH I video recorded at Rye. I believe they leased 2 others as well.

And contrary to what some here say, they would not have been allowed on MNR territory if their operations here would cause problems.
 #1284165  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DutchRailnut wrote:hmm the 6 axle units are restricted on MN, they exceed the max load per axle on Metro-North.
someone is playing loose with rules again.
Guess it's been going on for a long time, because those 6 axles come often, and have been doing so for some time. And I thought the GATX units were OKed by MNR? ??
 #1284175  by DutchRailnut

Entire new haven division is limited to 289 000 lbs, the 6 axle units are around 356 000 lbs.
one of reasons the SD40 we used on plow train was restricted to 5 mph.
only place were 6 axle power was tolerated was Derby to New Haven during Gonerail days.
currently CSX can only run 6 axle units on Hudson line, and only certain class like SD40 and or SD60.