• Cedar Hill Yard

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by gawlikfj

After 50 years of absolutely no Maintenance,and recently identified as a trackage disaster,
Cedar Hill yard in New Haven,CT. is seeing a major overhaul.
A massive number of ties have been marked for replacement on every track in the yard,and new one's have been arriving for weeks.
On June 15th a tie gang began working in the yard & will continue for four weeks.
Reportedly,every track will be overhauled with new wood,ballast and surfacing. In early June B-36-7 number 5875 was sent down for work train duty in the yard. ( August 2009 Railpace )
  by Noel Weaver

What part of Cedar Hill are you talking about here? Cedar Hill at one time was a big yard, Amtrak uses a part of it, P & W
uses another part of it, CSX is also involved with ownership and use.
I suspect a few tracks are being fixed up so they can be used without risk of derailment. Even with the three users I
mentioned above, most of this yard is either not in use or torn up.
Noel Weaver
  by gawlikfj

It seems to be the freight yard that CSX uses . What I wrote is what the article says.
  by Maybrook fan

Was/is Cedar Hill yard located west of I91 just north of the city of New Haven ??
  by TomNelligan

Maybrook fan wrote:Was/is Cedar Hill yard located west of I91 just north of the city of New Haven ??
Yes, it's the yard that you see from I-91.
  by DutchRailnut

TomNelligan wrote:
Yes, it's the yard that you see from I-91.

Yes, it's the remains of a yard that you see from I-91
  by cedarhillresident

Hi everyone, I live in Cedar Hill and I am trying to set up a wiki page on the history of the area. As you all know most of Cedar hills history started when the railroad was built. I was hoping to get a few of you Cedar Hill savie buffs to help with the railroad part. Trouble with wiki is they need verifiable links (most of old history is oral history but they do not except that) Any help you can offer would be great.

A little back group I Lived in New Haven all my life (wooster street) Moved to Cedar Hill ten years ago. Found that the area was called Fair haven after the 1920's and now is called the other side of East Rock. But the Cedar Hill lifers called it Cedar Hill. hen I went to the historical Libary on Whitney ave. The guy said that when I95 went up alot of the history was misplaced for the area. So I have under taken the project of Reclaiming the history of Cedar Hill for future generations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Hill_%28New_Haven%29
This is the wiki page fell free to add or post here things you think may or should be added.