Railroad Forums 

• Cedar Hill

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#964698  by chrisnewhaven

Figured I'd put this here as Cedar Hill is a CSX yard. What is it used for now (in terms of freight traffic)? What locals operate out of here? Is there any interchange between CSX/P&W/Conn. Southern? Any information is welcome, thanks!
C.J.V.
 #965670  by atsf sp

CSX interchanges with both CSOR and PW there.
 #965672  by roberttosh

CSO doesn't really serve New Haven area customers, but they instead haul CSX's traffic for them between Springfield and Cedar Hill. From there, CSX serves various customers in and around Cedar Hill. I would say the majority of traffic is generated from within the yard itself, where Circle of life runs a very large C&D facility, Metals Management has a large scrap metal yard, Anastasio has a steel and lumber reload center and Transflo has a decent sized transload terminal where they handle both liquid and dry bulk products. There is also a small cluster of customers on the Amtrak line just a bit north of the yard and there's maybe 2 or 3 customers left on the corridor south of New Haven, with the biggest being another C&D shipper, City carting at Milford. PW uses a couple tracks in the yard for power and car switching/storage and they run a couple locals out of there, including some decent sized stone trains through the area which mainly head south on the corridor. From what I understand, there is only the occasional interchange between PW and CSX, as the majority of that takes place in Worcester.
 #966897  by chrisnewhaven

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of the activity within the yard itself so this was very helpfull. Also thanks roberttosh for providing industry names as I am trying to gather a list on industries in this area on the New England forum.
C.J.V.
 #968966  by rb

These are the places south of New Haven where I often see cars:

Paper Warehouse (At Progress Distribution Center), West Haven - 1-2 boxcars at a time, usually SOU/NS.
Star Distributors, West Haven - boxcars, anywhere from 1 to 6. Beer?
C&D Facility, Milford. C&D hoppers, 12+ at a time.
Maine Plastics, Stratford (next to I-95). 1-2 covered hoppers at a time.
Godfrey Masonry, Bridgeport. 1-2 boxcars at a time.

Not sure about these:
West Haven Lumber - appeared to take cars in the MOW yard there but haven't seen anything there in years
Exxon Plastics in Stratford - plant appears abandoned
I also thought I would see scrap gons in Bridgeport MNCR yard from time to time. Not sure what they were for.
 #968967  by rb

BTW, also saw a job heading back to Cedar Hill last Friday evening with 13 loaded C&D gons. I thought this job usually ran in the morning.
 #968988  by chrisnewhaven

Thanks for listing the industry names rb, these will be added to my list immediately! Its also good to see some industry left in this area, especially since I was previously lead to believe there were only 3 or 4 customers on the entire mainline west of New Haven before I started this thread. I really appreciate all the information, if there's anything else, please post it!
C.J.V.