Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#350183  by RearOfSignal

CBTC, uses a 'moving block' system. Instead of specific waysides points indicating the beginning and end of blocks, the length and placement of the block can change as needed. So, if a train is following another say 400ft behind, a slower speed is enforced than if the train was following 800ft behind. The distance between the trains is calculated by wayside radio transponders and a restrictions are applied as neccessary. There is also no need for automatic signals, just home signals at interlockings, which show a flashing green aspect when CBTC is enforced. This allows the trains to operate under shorter headways, and allows the RTC to know exactly where all trains are at any time.
 #362535  by rail10

When the cbtc is implemented what will happen to the trip arms for speed control?

#362859  by RearOfSignal

Not certain, they might take them out at the automatic signals, and leave them at home signals. The CBTC would be able to stop the train should it go overspeed at any point, not just in front of timer signals, so the trip arms wouldn't really be necessary, they might leave them in as a precaution. I haven't gotten down to the Carnarise Line lately to have a look, I'll have to do that.
 #375599  by rail10

Are there plans to introduce CBTC signalling on the numbered 7 subway lines as similar to the L line as a test project?Will the equipment be of the same type?

#375625  by RearOfSignal

Not sure on the (7) line, but I have heard that track Y3 on the Eastchester line (5) will be set up to test CBTC with IRT equipment. Not sure when that starts though. Track Y3 is not signalled at all right now and testing on it should not effect any other services.

#375681  by Jay Bong

The 7 may recieve CTBC/ATO next, dependent on the L's program results.
 #704582  by peemti

Hello,

Is there someone here that could give me some feedback about the use of the Trainguard system from Siemens on the Canarsie Line L at New York ?

- How is NYCT satisfied by using it ?

- What is its availability ?

- How it is implemented with the old signal system ?

May you have a name at NYCT that could answer to me ?
 #851722  by rail10

Can a conventional Nyc subway train in the large division can pass on the areas with CBTC system as in the L line?
 #856165  by tommyboy6181

Yes, the Siemens Trainguard MT system which the Canarsie line uses can support both CBTC and non-CBTC equipped trains. Here is a link which talks about how the system works and also does mention the NYC project.

http://www.nwe.siemens.com/denmark/inte ... TC_eng.pdf

The 7 when resignalled to CBTC is going with the Alstom Urbalis system but will still allow mixed operations as well.
 #1290345  by FRN9

Is the CBTC signaling the same on the 7 line as on the L train?

If voltage and platform size weren't issues, could 7 train equipment use the the signaling on the L line?
 #1290426  by Allan

FRN9 wrote:Is the CBTC signaling the same on the 7 line as on the L train?

If voltage and platform size weren't issues, could 7 train equipment use the the signaling on the L line?
The concept is the same but the equipment that will - eventually - be installed on the 7 will be a later version (which, of course, will be obsolete by the time installation is finished and trains go live).

I doubt that the 7 train cars would be able to work well with the L line CBTC.
 #1290519  by Kamen Rider

The systems are not the same, Canarsie is Siemens, Flushing is Thales.
 #1290529  by FRN9

Kamen Rider wrote:The systems are not the same, Canarsie is Siemens, Flushing is Thales.
Kamen,

What about power? Is it possible to run the 625V A div trains on 600V B div power? Does anyone know about any hybrid technology that would switch between both voltages?

Thanks,