Railroad Forums 

• CBNS Alcos?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#150797  by 2spot

Probably way too late, but does the Cape Breton & Central Nova Scotia still have any Alcos on the property? The ALCoWORLD site hasnt been updated for a while. Just wondering...

#150894  by Ken V

It's definitely too late. The CB&CNS hasn't run any MLW power in the last few years and the remaining RS-18s and C-630Ms were sold for scrap about two years ago.

#151192  by 2spot

Thanks for the reply, Ken V. I would have assumed that Ed Bowers had picked through anything that was of value there and taken the decent stuff. According to the ALCoWORLD site one RS18 needed only wheelsets to go. I thought it might be there still. Oh well..

#228207  by keiichi902

There is one RS18 remaining in the Sydney yard, the prime mover and other parts have been removed, the rest of the unit is going to the Orangedale Train Museum for a static display. It will eventually be repainted in CNR green and gold as funds permit.

I also recall one other RS18 in semi servicable condition, but I am not sure of it's current location, it could have been sold or scraped, next time I am down the yard I will find out what happened to it.

All other remaining C630M's and RS18's were hauled to the Sydney Coal Railway (former DEVCO) shops, salvaged for any usable parts, which I beleave went to the US then scrapped. :(

#228844  by murray83

few years ago i took a pic of a unit in nb southern's yard here in saint john was in rough shape was this the unit that went to the states?

#228987  by sallenparks

There are two C630m's left 2029 is in New Jersey on the Morristown & Erie the other is 2028 in Connersville Indiana.

#229088  by 2spot

Any idea where RS-18 3842 ended up? I know Ed Bowers bought it, but where did it go?

#241765  by bentnosewillie

I think that 3842 is the unit that is destined to go to Orangedale.

#286983  by keiichi902

Here is a shot of 3842 taken in June 2006, it is still sitting in the Sydney yard, not sure when it is suppost to be moved to Orangedale, the yellow caboose was donated to Orangedale by the SCR (Sydney Coal Railway former DEVCO) the other caboose needs repairs and will be put back in service by the CBNS.

[img]http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/bmrc/3842.jpg[/img]

Jason

#287116  by murray83

i'd like to see her painted in olive and gold again,hope she goes soon.

#287180  by 2spot

Thanx for the updates, guys. Glad one of the RS-18s escaped the torch.

#320209  by Two-Tone-Green

Orangedale Train Museum
OMG!!! is there a guy there at the museum whos name is Martin Boston? he such a great guy, I wish I was there to meet him again

#350954  by skeezix91

There's lots of MLW's used on the New Brunswick East Coast railway.

http://www.theboykos.com/nbec/

This guy has ALOT of photos!