Railroad Forums 

• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2018

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1466129  by Otto Vondrak

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2018/03/22/ ... he-future/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On March 9, Don Williams, president of Red Hook-based Williams Lumber, advised Catskill Mountain Railroad of its hope to ship up to 100 carloads of lumber a year out of the former Lowe’s Plumbing on Smith Avenue, which it owns, next to CSX tracks in Midtown as “an economic alternative to the high cost of shipping by truck.” The plan involves CSX replacing a switching station at that point, he said. Lumber would be carried by tractor-trailer to that site.
-otto-
 #1466157  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:I'm not familiar with the layout there. But it sounds like they are right next to CSX, and a shortline would not be involved?
It sounds like Williams Lumber is opening a location in the old Lowe Plumbing & Heating building off Smith Ave. in Kingston, which is right where the Catskill Mountain Branch connected to the River Line. CMRR's yard was once located on this stretch between Cornell St. and Oneil St. The track east of Cornell St. has been (illegally?) paved over, but the right of way is clearly visible leading to the CSX right of way:

https://goo.gl/maps/RPrKwHa9GCw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of things have to happen for this to come to fruition... But it's certainly another interesting development.

-otto-
 #1466160  by pumpers

So the loads are supposed to go out, not in? I didn't know there was an active lumbering business in Catskills (I mean in general, not just this outfit). Or perhaps they are not lumbering, but making some wood product such as Glu-lam with lumber from elsewhere?
EDIT: I googled and Williams Lumber seems to be a chain of lumber/home improvement type stores. Why would they be sending outbound loads? Hard to believe just to local stores in the NYC/Hudson valley area.
 #1466166  by Otto Vondrak

pumpers wrote:So the loads are supposed to go out, not in?
I think you misunderstand. Lumber loads come in by rail, get distributed to their Hudson Valley stores by short-haul truck.

-otto-
 #1466176  by pumpers

Otto Vondrak wrote:https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2018/03/22/ ... he-future/
... The plan involves CSX replacing a switching station at that point, he said. Lumber would be carried by tractor-trailer to that site.
-otto-
Otto, perhaps I misinterpreted the second sentence (or the reporter made an error and should have said "carried by tractor-trailer FROM that site"). That sentence is the basis for my questions, Jim S
 #1466186  by BR&P

Looking at the aerial photo map, it appears the CSX main is closest to the site, and a siding on the far side? IMHO there's no way this will happen. The cost of a turnout from a main track, in signaled territory (I presume), in the face of at least some local political opposition? I'd love to be proved wrong but I'd be beyond amazed if it came to be.
 #1466318  by eehiv

CSX has abandoned this type of business in Kingston, which has given us this opportunity.

Track is fully in place right up to the switch (hard to see on the satellite photos).

Traffic will be inbound and transloaded from a location on the CMRR by Williams to their retail stores.

Exact transload location is TBD.

EH
 #1466331  by BR&P

eehiv wrote:
Traffic will be inbound and transloaded from a location on the CMRR by Williams to their retail stores.

EH
Does CSX have a local that works that line, or is the hope to stop a road train to make the setoff and pickup?
 #1466391  by ANRP2

Can SOMEONE provide a better aerial view? Any drone pilots in the area? Would benefit CMRR's petition.
eehiv wrote:CSX has abandoned this type of business in Kingston, which has given us this opportunity.

Track is fully in place right up to the switch (hard to see on the satellite photos).

Exact transload location is TBD.

EH
 #1466419  by BR&P

4th post from the top, on this page. Otto has a link. Click that, a map comes up, and in the very bottom left corner click on the square which changes it from a map to an aerial photo. You can zoom in or out, and scroll left, right, up and down. It makes YOU the drone pilot, so have at it! :-D
 #1466420  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote:
eehiv wrote:

EH
Does CSX have a local that works that line, or is the hope to stop a road train to make the setoff and pickup?
Hey Don,

I wouldn't answer for Ernie, but I do believe CSX has a local that services Kingston or at least they did at one point. I
can't remember if it's based out of Kingston or if it shoots up from North Jersey.

Charlie
 #1466424  by airman00

There is a picture buried somewhere in a past years thread that shows the physical end of track in the parking lot, right next to the csx river line. The track is literally like 10 feet from the river line. It appears all conrail did was remove the switch and nothing else. As far as the CSX local, I am pretty sure the local is based out of Kingston yard.
 #1466433  by AMK0123

The CSX local is still out of Kingston yard. The train symbol is C711. It operates as far south on the River line as Orangeburg and north to Selkirk yard. And as I'm very happy for the Catskill Mountain railroad, wouldn't it be easier to go several hundred feet south and transload onto the two siding tracks just east of Greenkill Ave. The track and switch off the mainline is already in place. In fact that's the location that CMRR last passenger coach that they received was dropped of by CSX in the last year or so... Not sure however, who currently owns that property but from being up there it looks like it at one time had been setup for transloading....