Railroad Forums 

• Catenary on your layouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#772353  by Otto Vondrak

Nice to see you using a variety of tools to get the job done. I know a lot of young modelers tend to use 'whatever is handy" and it reflects poorly in their work. Keep us posted with updates!
 #777075  by green_elite_cab

well, i added the "K" to the K-braced bridges. I'm going to make 4-6 more poles. Once i get two more bridges up, i can start laying down some of the wire in between.

I haven't added the wire cross spans (i want to do them all at the same time, rather than having to switch gears between structures). I also haven't added any details to any of the other poles, such as the grab irons, angle braces and insulators. I figure it would be best to wait until just before installation to add these details, so that they don't get damaged while under construction.

I did temporarily stand them up in their intended places for some photos.

a Pair of E33s run "under wire" (not yet, but i had to stage the shot, couldn't help myself).

I cut the horizontal cross brace to the desired length (37 feet in this case) and let the sag brace be a little longer so that i didn't end up "short" on material. I bent it following a template i made (though not exact, just close enough for the time being), marked the pieces and soldered the sag brace centered on the cross piece. It is important to be careful when bending the "T" metal for the sag brace. avoid grasping this piece across the "vertical" portion of the T, instead grab the horizontal edge. This is because you might deform the metal (more than you have to).

I put shims to keep the cross beam level on the jig. The jig, pictured earlier, uses scrap wood and atlas track nails to hold the pieces at right angles. Both the cross beam and the pole were tinned ahead of time. for some reason, the first time around, the solder wouldn't take until i used a 120 watt soldering gun, but so far, a 40-watt iron seems to have worked everywhere else, including this joint on other bridges.

The sag braces continue to be a source of trouble. it would be difficult cut them ahead of time, because as said earlier, if you ended up short, you'd have to start over. At the same time, there is no real easy way to cut the tee except with a dremel tool, and its hard to line that up. I've been getting it right so far, but it always feels like luck. The razor saw is no good for this, and flush cutters still deform the piece.

so far, the system i've been using is first cut as close as i can with the dremel, then use the flush cutters, then grind the end level with the sides of a dremel cut-off disk. I only grind it for a split second, so that 1). it doesn't get to hot, and 2.) to frequently check to see if it is properly lined up. after a minute, i usually get it down to size and it fits in nicely.

Thats it for now. Hopefully, when i get some more bridges built in this basic fashion, i'll go and add more details to them.
 #780246  by Rick Abramson

I have strung NYNH&H type catenary on my layout utilizing the "floating-beam" type system used between Glenbrook,CT and New Haven,CT. The area I model is between Bridgeport and Devon. For those wishing to see the wire, the layout was featured in the 8/04 issue of MR.
I would be more than happy to answer any questions concerning the wire.
 #780651  by ac0catenary

Hello Rick
Ive seen your catenary .. very nice !! that was model memories right?
 #780652  by ac0catenary

Hello All I wanted to share with you all this new video of my layout showing an HO scale Amtrak Acela trainset running off of Live scratchbuilt PRR catenary using a LOKsound decoder set up for a TGV Thalys. Layout has three levels of trackage and two large stations all under LIVE DCC catenary. Based on PRR electric lines in Philadelphia PA. The layout also features an extensive trolley system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy5Gy7BGexw

Steve in Philly
 #780666  by Rick Abramson

Steve:

Thanks for the compliment. The towers and wire are Model Memories. The curves however were totally "scratch-hung." Your PRR work looks superb. In all honesty, I'd rather string PRR wire than NH. Those floating beams were a nightmare!!

Regards,
Rick
 #781000  by green_elite_cab

Rick Abramson wrote:I have strung NYNH&H type catenary on my layout utilizing the "floating-beam" type system used between Glenbrook,CT and New Haven,CT. The area I model is between Bridgeport and Devon. For those wishing to see the wire, the layout was featured in the 8/04 issue of MR.
I would be more than happy to answer any questions concerning the wire.
Awesome, i have that magazine article, and i love your layout! At one time, when i was much younger, i thought about making an NEC model that extended out into New Haven Territory, until i realized i couldn't possibly fit it on my 4x8. I've since decided to stick with stuff closer to home in New Jersey.

I've always been surprised that catenary isn't a more common thing on layouts. only VERY recently have i begun to see more than a handful of people with reasonably well built catenary. Some people i see are intimidated, but i haven't had to much trouble. Its time consuming, that's the only real problem in my opinion.

You wouldn't happen to know where i can find some EP5s? They made their last stand on the rail lines i loosely base my layout on, and i figured I'd paint one up in Penn Central.
 #781062  by ac0catenary

Rick
Thanks for the Compliments I love your layout and look at It for inspiration because I know that whole system must have been a pain. New Haven Catenary is a real challenge with floating catenary ,Triangular catenary and inclined catenary not to mention Anchor/transformer bridges. Real detailed stuff which is really hard to understand unless you see it in person. I had that chance working on Amtrak projects in the Bronx to New Rochelle over the last five years. Its really some Pioneering beautiful stuff when you get down to it and its quickly disappearing.
 #781090  by Rick Abramson

It is so nice to see that there are others out there modeling "sparkers." It is a totally unique area to model railroading and adds a whole new dimension to a layout.
I did model the anchor bridge at Devon, CT (AB-867), what a project that was! What you can't see in the article are the phasebreaks in the wire over all four tracks. While stringing all this, I believe I invented some new four-letter words!!
When I figure out how to post photos, I'll be more than happy to share them with you.
As far as HO EP-5s, they were made by Overland; Branford Hobbies in Branford,CT makes a nice resin EP-5 painted NH and r-t-r.

Regards,
Rick
 #781464  by trainguy2024

Hello All,
I actually had the opportunity not only to see Rick Abramson's layout but also operate on it. Take it from me, the Catenary is very detailed. His layout runs like the real deal. I am currently working on my layout which will have Jenkin's Curve (super elevated track already complete), Lower Bridgeport Yard, etc... Yes it will have Catenary!!!!!!!! My inspiration also came from Rick Abramson's layout. THANKS RICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Ron
 #781549  by Rick Abramson

This is a shot of the former VGN rectifiers, NH class EF-4 on "Jenkins Curve" in Bridgeport,CT.
Attachments:
EF-4 Jenkins Curve.JPG
EF-4 Jenkins Curve.JPG (172.31 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
 #782110  by ac0catenary

Great pictures - Can We see some pix from the other side of the layout " the four track main line " anchor bridge?
 #782348  by Marty Feldner

Rick Abramson wrote:I'll try to post some tonight. I just don't want to bore you guys with too many photos.
Rick-

"My ready-to-run trains on unitrack on the bedroom floor rug" photos are boring.

Yours are anything but; great work.

Post away...