Railroad Forums 

• Catenary height on the Northeast Corridor

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#464938  by USRailFan

What is the height above rails of the catenary on the NEC? I've understood it is quite a lot higher than in Europe (max. catenary height on standard gauge 6.1 metres, ie 20 feet)?

#464955  by DutchRailnut

Highest is 23 feet the lowest on Metro North is about 15 feet 4"
 #464967  by Sir Ray

USRailFan wrote:What is the height above rails of the catenary on the NEC? I've understood it is quite a lot higher than in Europe (max. catenary height on standard gauge 6.1 metres, ie 20 feet)?
How do they pull off running double stacks in Europe - I read about the Betuweroute line which is supposed to handle double stacks (i.e. " All tunnels on the Betuweroute can accommodate double-stack trains." betuweroute), and I know North American double stacks require 20'2" height clearance (6.15m) - not accoutning for the space between the top of the container & the energized wire.

#464974  by DutchRailnut

The Betuwe route does not accomodate double stacks, its tunnels were built with option to run in future, and as far as I know no double stack type cars are in service in Europe.
currently traffic comming of the Betuwe route still has to enter conventional freight track whith no clearance for double stacks in both port of Rotterdam and in Germany where the Betuwe line has not even been started yet.
The Betuwe route is so far a big boondoggle since freight carriers don't want to use it as fares are to high.