Railroad Forums 

• Casale Industries Garwood

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#98481  by crnrailal

Does anybody know how long ago that the complex that contains Casal Industries and the buildings west of that along South Ave in Garwood was a smelter owned by Alcoa?

#98500  by CNJFAN

I can give you an estimate.
I grew up in Garwood and I knew a couple of the Casale family members and the owners of Petro Plastics too.
I would say it was about 100 years ago so I was told by one of them.
The cement colored Casale office building located on South Ave was built in the 50's.
Alot of the old factories in Garwood were around or slightly before the turn of the century.
I can also give you more historical info about the town if you are interested, just use this website to contact me via private message and I can tell you more.
I don't know how much you know about Garwood, I guess you already know, the Jersey Central is what put that town and all of the other nearby towns on the map.
Garwood was once very active and busy in terms of industry and how the railroad served the factories with freight service.

#98515  by Don31

Garwood was actually named for a CNJ Vice President...John or Joseph Garwood

#98516  by CNJFAN

Samuel Garwood.
When the town celebrated it's 100 Birthday in 2003, I purchased the book on the history.
It has some great photo's in it including the construction of the RR underpass in 1961.