Railroad Forums 

• Cars at grain facility at E Deerfield & other questions

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#289456  by NellsChoo

Hi all

We got to East Deerfield yard yesterday for the first time in a while. We saw some covered hoppers at the big, seemingly abandonded grain (?) facility. We haven't seen anything parked there for some time. There was something that looked like a bulldozer in front of them.

Just what is that facility, who owns it, and is it up and running again?

While I'm at it, why are they clearing some land across from the "parking lot"... well, the "railfan parking lot"...

http://photos.nerail.org/photos/2006090312215118851.jpg

#289532  by roberttosh

I think the facility is bringing in and bagging Wood Pellets for home heating fuel.

#289539  by cpf354

roberttosh wrote:I think the facility is bringing in and bagging Wood Pellets for home heating fuel.
That's correct. They're shipped from British Columbia by Pacific Northwest Wood, which has leased 12 covered hoppers and hopes to have up to 50 at the end of the year. The facility was formerly United Cooperative Farmers (UCF) and purchased by Pacific Northwest in April.
(Source; Atlantic Northeast Rails and Ports)