• Carman or Conductor?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by abc8251

A railroad contract company seems interested in hiring me as a Carman. There is also a short-line that seems interested in me. The pay at the short-line is unfortunately not very good, but I would have a schedule with weekends off.
  by Jim1348

Does the shortline pay into the railroad pension plan?
  by abc8251

Yes, the short-line does have Railroad Retirement. The contract company doesn't. The pay isn't horrible, but it's not 90 or 100K like some Conductors earn lol. Could be a good place to get experience though.
  by Jim1348

I think it is time to ask yourself some serious questions. Do you plan on making the railroad a career? I so, paying into the railroad pension plan is a huge deal. I would consider the short line, but then grab a job with a Class 1, if you can. Defined benefit pensions are so rare nowadays, that if you can get one, it might be worth taking home less salary to get it .