Railroad Forums 

• Carman job questions?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1258997  by matawanaberdeen

I recently applied to a Carman position with CSX, and took the online tests which some were not so easy. Somehow I passed them which I didn't know if I was gonna to be honest, but I did. I have no welding experience at all, but I have 20 years of accident free work history. I am EXTREMELY safety minded, I don't do anything at work unless its the safe way period. I also have 18 years of driving commercial trucks completely accident free. My question is can my attention to safety, and my safe work history overcome my lack of welding experience for this position? I really would like this job, it seems very interesting to me, and the pay is very good. Thanks for any help or info you may have.
 #1259003  by COEN77

Welding is just one part of the job. Most times new hires won't be in the shop. They'll be in the field with the elements lacing air hoses doing brake test ect....like any other railroad job learning is mostly OJT.
 #1259010  by Freddy

It's good you've got a CDL. With the exception of train crew and clerical jobs a CDL is required for most other crafts.
 #1259152  by trvr815

Unless your really into maintenance I would try for train crew. Or go for both and see what happens.
Just bc you don't have welding is not going to be a deal breaker. If you have worked with pneumatics that's a big plus.
Good luck