Railroad Forums 

• Carl J. Schlemmer, 1926-2010

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#860697  by MEC407

Carl J. Schlemmer, the head of GE Transportation from 1974 to 1989, has died. He was 84.

Schlemmer was at the helm during GE's transition from second place to first place in the North American locomotive business.
GoErie.com wrote:During that time, he oversaw a $500 million modernization program that helped the company emerge from behind the shadow of industry leader EMD and led to the development of the Dash 8 locomotive.
Read more at: http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 0310149827
 #861275  by Allen Hazen

Thanks for posting that, MEC407!
--
If someone had ready-to-hand a list of the leadership changes at Erie in the past half-century or so.... It might be interesting to see if there was a detectable correlation with the history of GE locomotive innovation.
--
My sense is that in the past decade or two, GETS has been used by GE top management as a farm team: an executive who does a good job at GETS for a few years can get promoted to one of the BIG divisions, like power systems. Is there any truth to this, or have I just leapt to a conclusion on the basis of occasional news stories?
--
Why do I get the sense that the author of the obituary for Carl J. Schlemmer is not an unalloyed and uncritical Jack Welch fan?