• Car Floats

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by trainwayne1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Seatrain operation. Their 2 original ships each held 100 cars on 4 decks and traveled between Hoboken, NJ and Havana Cuba. When they outgrew the Hoboken facility the moved to Edgewater, NJ and began using the NYS&W, and were a big source of revenue for the railroad for quite a few years. I remember going to the Butler depot with my Dad to watch the commuter and freight trains, and on the days that a Seatrain ship would come in, the Hainesburg trains would be double the size of other days.......crawling past the station with 4 to 6 Alco RS-1's and even one or two of the MU capable S-2's thrown in when they needed extra power East of the station was the begining of the 6+ mile grade to Green Pond Jct., and by the time the head end would pass the station the Alcos would be shaking the ground with top vents and hood doors open to try to keep them from overheating which they were known to do.

Here's a link to a short history of Seatrain..........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seatrain_Lines