Railroad Forums 

• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1538855  by codasd

I'm optimistic that it opens for July 4th. No one will want to rent on the Cape and then shelter in place. I think it all depends on when restaurants open along with nonessential retail open up.
 #1538867  by R36 Combine Coach

Even that is very optimistic. Keep in mind the outbreak could comeback any time, with a new upward rise in fall (September-December) projected. Even MLB doesn't expected to play until July or August (if at all this year). So the point of renting homes and "heading out" defeats the purpose if the situation is not fully under control.

Though many New Yorkers have already fled for Long Island's East End, Jersey Shore and Florida by now.
Last edited by CRail on Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1538878  by njtmnrrbuff

At this point, it's just thinking one day at a time. Things are starting to improve here in the Greater NYC area but it doesn't mean to get complacent and not continuing to follow social distancing rules. Will things be better in May? Maybe somewhat but not enough to have people get a jump start on summer rentals. No, don't count on the COVID-19 being anywhere near finished in May. Remember that there will be other places still be dealing with it more so than other places in May. You don't want to get the COVID-19 virus on the Cape as there aren't too many medical centers. If you live a ways from the Cape Flyer route, like in the Easthams, and you get the virus, you probably have to travel a ways to Hyannis and by the time that you get to the hospital, it might be too late.
 #1538929  by kwf

Too late for what?
Last edited by CRail on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1538963  by daybeers

Sadly, some people don't make it to the hospital in time.
Last edited by CRail on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed. Do not use the "quote" button as a reply button.
 #1539013  by BandA

Too late for what?
Too late to breath; If you are having trouble breathing you are in a dangerous situation.

If things reopen by the end of the summer there will be a desperate need for tourist revenue. The Flyer may help get a few car-less folks to the cape. The folks that take the Flyer to avoid traffic won't be on the train as there will be a lot less traffic. Things will not reopen until there are plentiful testing and the contact tracing initiative is working.
Last edited by CRail on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Nesting quote removed.
 #1539019  by njtmnrrbuff

I have been to Cape Cod many times- as a child, I would vacation in Eastham with my family and still go every few years. As for running the Flyer during these difficult times, we have to understand that just because the case rate on Cape Cod might not be as high as other places doesn't mean that we are completely out of the woods yet. The greater Boston area probably has a lot more cases than Cape Cod and if that's the case and somebody who tests positive with the COVID-19 boards the Flyer, guess what, the virus will spread to other people on the train and then those people getting off the train could spread it even more. Next thing you know, people are in the hospital and not everyone will make it.

Here in the NYC area where I live, it's horrible in NYC. Several people have passed away already. There is some improvements with the case rate slowing. Unfortunately, a New Jersey Transit rail conductor passed away from the COVID-19. Multiple NYCMTA workers got the COVID-19 and many of them passed away.

As for the Cape Flyer running to the Cape this summer, if things return to normal by Labor Day, I hate to say this but I wouldn't count on the train to the Cape from Boston running. It will just be like a normal year at that point given the fact that children will be back in school so the families who have school aged children won't be heading to Cape Cod at all. That doesn't mean that many people won't to the Cape past Labor Day. For five out of the six years, my family has gone to the Cape in September toward the middle or the end of the month. It's not as busy there as it is during the summer. I don't know what the ridership count would be on the Cape Flyer after Labor Day but it might just get by.
 #1539064  by wicked

Assume there is no Flyer this season. Perhaps the CCRTA takes the $300k or whatever it pays the T and says, ok, let’s use it to run weekend service through the end of the year and see what we get for ridership.

Will it happen? Probably not. Just an idea.
 #1539083  by R36 Combine Coach

wicked wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:18 pm Assume there is no Flyer this season. Perhaps the CCRTA takes the $300k or whatever it pays the T...
Better off CCRTA holds in "reserve" for emergency/contingency or for essential services.
njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:17 amHere in the NYC area where I live, it's horrible in NYC. Unfortunately, a New Jersey Transit rail conductor passed away from the COVID-19. Multiple NYCMTA workers got the COVID-19 and many of them passed away.
Over 40+ deaths at NYCT by now, upward daily. The shortage of crews due to number ill and many others calling in sick (as well with the long lead time to train and certify new recruits) is why NYCT is running on a "essential" (20-40 minute) schedule (a full year seems not unlikely), not even enough for a reduced Saturday or Sunday schedule.
 #1539090  by CRail

While the global pandemic is naturally on the minds of everyone, there are plenty of places and resources to get and discuss information regarding it. Please keep any mention of it here strictly relevant to rail service.

While I'm a proponent of speculating, since that's what a bunch of onlookers in a discussion forum are here to do, there's nothing more to go on about what the CapeFlyer service plan will be for this year. I doubt any of the involved parties have any more of an idea themselves at this point.
 #1542264  by Backshophoss

With Mass Coastal tangled in the IP bankruptcy, will they be allowed to run passenger operations?
 #1542272  by CRail

Mass Coastal has absolutely nothing to do with the Cape Flyer.
 #1542279  by Safetee

I'm just curious. What exactly is the role of the Mass Coastal within the context of its' contract with Mass DOT?