Railroad Forums 

• Capacity of Eastern railroads

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#402280  by PlayMania

I keep reading in these forums how railroads in the United States will be expanding in the coming years and how they will want to use underutilized routes because of more traffic than they can handle.

I can not understand, however, what I just read on the railpace.com website that rail freight, including intermodal, was down a lot in the first quarter of the year 2007.

Norfolk Southern and the CSX keep saying how they want to expand their intermodal base in the Northeast but they dont seem to know what they are doing or get out of their own way. I remember a lot of CSX derailments in the past couple of months and railpace said that Norfolk Southern has lost more UPS traffic since the beginning of the year.

Are these companies ever going to get their acts together and realize what they should be doing? I read that a very low percentage of containers that came into New York or New Jersey were shipped by rail but these railroads seem to now be OK with that.

Back when Conrail was first taken over, these companies seemed to be racing to get run through agreements with the UP and BNSF and were competing for traffic and attempting to get trucks off of the road. Its been a while since they have done anything important.

There are many projects including larger ports and new rail connections are being created and the Port Authority has invested millions of dollars to help these projects get done and smooth railroad operations in the northeast.

Now nothing has been done with these and rail traffic has been declining. I understand that slight shifts in traffic may be to blame for these things happening but you would think that either railroad could have picked up some new business to offset the losses. I dont want to hear any more about 1 day of floods or weather effecting the trains.

Will the railroads in the northeast ever get their acts together in order to compete with trucking companies in the northeast region? Will they be able to save congestion on the highways like someone said without having to make I-81 into 16 lanes? At this time, I think I would have to give it a big fat Playmania "NO!"

#402284  by SecaucusJunction

Preach it brother! Maybe this NS OCS is the start of new things... though again, I think it might be wishful thinking.

#402287  by HoboKen bound

I-81 will never be expanded. The only ones who know what their doing is the government. The more traffic that is on any given road will mean that the traffic will move slower (if not stopped completely). The more fuel is burned due to congession equals more gas bought which means more gas taxes that are paid. The government makes out like a bandit by the railroad's stupidity combined with the DOT not putting a dime in the aliviation of the congestion.

#402300  by Otto Vondrak

[Moved - ov]

#402320  by blockline4180

Preach it brother! Maybe this NS OCS is the start of new things... though again, I think it might be wishful thinking.

Hahaha, keep dreaming! The only reason they ran the OCS was to give the big wigs with suits a nice luxerious train ride back into yesteryear while pleasing the trackside railfans with Southern inspired F units.. At the same time everyone is drooling outside while Wick Moorman is foaming inside!! Thats all :P