Railroad Forums 

• Canyon Cty., CO - UP line

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#145650  by BlockLine_4111

There is a signalized single track UP line running along Hwy. 50 in Canyon City. What is the heritage of this line and where does it go from and to? Does it see many freights?

Also there is a yard nearby with a caboose and dome passenger coach and possibly more relics. What is the status and disposition of these items?

#146971  by espee

If this is the track I am thinking about, it's the ex Rio Grande line, part of the Tennessee Pass route. UP runs a local out of Pueblo to serve the Power Plant in Canon City. The BNSF also has rights and serves the Portland Cement Plant. The Canon City & Royal Gorge RR owns the line from Canon City (and the yard) to Parkdale (22 miles) and runs their passenger trains (www.royalgorgeroute.com). The caboose and dome car belongs to the CCRG. They have amassed quite a collection of rollling stock now. UP tried to sell the Tennessee Pass line after it bought out the SP. The CCRG bought the 22 miles, UP changed their minds about selling the entire line. I believe they kept trackage rights on the 22 mile section. UP does the dispatching for the CCRG and Rock & Rail. From Parkdale west (almost) to Dotsero, the line is dormant. Also at Parkdale, there is a rock quarry that is served by the Rock & Rail Railroad who has rights to Pueblo.

#209732  by Arborwayfan

The line west of Parkdale is dormant, yes, and in case anyone didn't realize it, there's a sign to that effect on a stake stuck into the ballast between the rails. Is that standard RR practice? A year and a half ago I rode the CCRGRR; it's quite a ride, and it has to be the smoothest tourist train ride I've ever had, with continuous welded rail, not to mention relatively modern ex-VIA coaches. Having it dispatched from Omaha or wherever added to the atmosphere of a real railroad operation, and the company hadn't done some of the cutesy stuff tourist lines sometimes do. I guess the gorge speaks for itself.
We drove west through Gunnison and Montrose (though we skipped the side trip to the Marshall pass because it was early June and cold). As long as the highway and the Tennessee pass line were next to each other, the line looked in superficial good shape, even after what, 8 years of no use. With UP so overcrowded, why aren't they using the DRGW Moffat Route more and maybe reopening Tenn Pass?

#209794  by espee

It is common for signs or colored "boards" to be put either in the middle or next to the track. I'm surprised no one has stolen it yet. There have been a lot of signs over the years that have been "borrowed".
The SP put a lot of maintenance money in the line over the years, mainly for the heavy coal trains but there was also a lot of manifest. Most sidings also got welded rail. Over the years I have talked with different MOW people that pass through the area and they all have said the same thing. The majority of the maintenance would be in signals & wiring/telephone poles but there are some areas of track that has taken a pounding with rock slides in the different cuts through the valley.
It is not unusual for Marshall Pass to still have a lot of snow in June but it is still passable.
Since you stayed on Highway 50, there are several stretches of the highway that are on the old DRGW road bed. Especially west of Blue Mesa and the Sapinero & Cerro summit areas.
The Tennessee Pass line is very expensive to operate. A lot of snow in winter and having to use helper operations. I think that is the biggest reason UP shut it down. I know the Moffat line is crowded and seems like it gets worse. With DPU, seems like it would be easier to use the line now. UP kept either trackage or haulage rights between Parkdale and Canon City. There is going to be a new power plant in Pueblo starting construction soon so maybe that will change things around here. From what I hear the Joint Line also has its moments with being crowded.