• Canton/Collinsville questions

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by SLR 393

Does anyone know of any info on the Canton, CT area? I am most interested in the Collins company complex and the NH station. I can't seem to find any pics of the area. I grew up there, and was thinking about building a small layout/diorama of the area for my office. It would be between the bridges by Miner Lumber and the bridge at the south end of the Collins co. thanks

by ewh

The Canton Historical Society has an extensive working layout scale model of the railroads in the area in their building at the south end of Main Street. A new rail trail connects what used to be Minor Lumber (now a frou frou antique mall) down the Farminton River, including going across the bridge over the Collins factory complex. I believe the trail follows the New Haven railbed into Unionville. Anyway, try contacting the Canton Historical Society.

by SLR 393

Funny you should mention that, growing up I was a member of that club! They were all nice guys and willing to work with us high school kids, which can be hard to find in a club. There were three of us in total. I don't know why contacting them didn't occur to me. :-D

by rhallock

What you want is the book "Central New England Ry, Volume III, Places 'n Things" by R.W. Nimke. It has a wealth of old photos and info. Canton-Collinsville is pages 23-29 and both the Collins Co. and various stations are shown.

by Engineer Spike

I have to look in Nimke's book to see if the Canal and CNE ever connected in Collinsville.
The CNE station was in the same area. It was about where Minor Lumber was. It was in the tail of a "Y". One ot the stations is still where one leg of it branched from the main. It is called High St. Jct. It is behind the fire dept.
  by CVRA7

Somewhere I remember reading that the New Hartford Branch and the CNE were connected at Collinsville around the time of the New Haven's takeover of the CNE, around 1927. This would have helped to speed the demise of through service on the CNE from Collinsville to Hartford via Tariffville.
  by Noel Weaver

CVRA7 wrote:Somewhere I remember reading that the New Hartford Branch and the CNE were connected at Collinsville around the time of the New Haven's takeover of the CNE, around 1927. This would have helped to speed the demise of through service on the CNE from Collinsville to Hartford via Tariffville.
At this time, around 1927, there was no through freight service on the
CNE in the Collinsville area. The last freight trains were local freights out
of Winsted, three days a week to Hartford and three days a week to
Springfield. There was probably no service at all through Collinsville on
the CNE once the remaining passenger trains were re-routed to Plainville
instead of Hartford. The lines were carried in the employee timetables
through 1938 but I think the track had been out of use for about ten
years previous to abandonment in 1938.
There was a little bit of the CNE track in Collinsville that remained through
the 1940's but again, it was mostly just in the weeds and probably seldom
used.
Noel Weaver

CNE

by Tom Curtin

According to Nimke's 3 volume CNE work, the route between Pine Meadow and Simsbury was taken out of service in October 1925 (He does not say why this was done). This meant that for the last couple of years they ran, the CNE's Canaan-Hartford passenger trains crossed over to the NH New Hartford Branch at Pine Meadow, running to Hartford via Farmington and Plainville. Therefore, we can safelt say that after Oct. 1925 there was no rail service at all in the Canton-Collinsville area.

by Noel Weaver

When the CNE re-route occurred, the eastern terminus was changed from
Hartford to Plainville. These trains left Plainville and ran to Farmington on
the Canal Line. At Farmington, they switched on to the existing New
Hartford Branch where they ran to Pine Meadow. Although there was no
diamond at Pine Meadow, the CNE crossed the New Hartford Branch
there by means of crossover switches and it was a relative matter to
switch a CNE train at Pine Meadow.
I do not have the Nimke books but I suspect the reason that this move
took place was probably the condition of two different bridges over the
Farmington River at Tariffville and at Satans Kingdom. By running on the
New Hartford Branch as far as Pine Meadow, the use of both of these
branches was avoided completely.
Noel Weaver
  by cnefan

According to my NH Arranged Freight Train Service schedule dated Apr. 26, 1925, there was an extra running except Sundays between Hartford (via Feeding Hills on Tue, Thu and Sat) and Winsted leaving Hartford at 8:45am with arrival in Winsted at 12:10pm. The return schedule was out of Winsted at 1:00pm (no mention of a trip to Feeding Hills in this direction) with arrival in Hartford at 4:15pm. The very next schedule that I have is dated June 14, 1925 and this same except Sunday local is out of Hartford at 8:45am (Feeding Hills served Tue, Thu and Sat) and going only as far as Simsbury where it arrived at 10:15am. The return was out of Simsbury at 10:40am with arrival in Hartford at 12:30pm. There is no mention in this June 14, 1925 schedule of any freight service via the old CNE route between Simsbury all the way to Norfolk Summit which would indicate that the only moves over the line would have been the two passenger trains (gas rail cars at the end); one out of Millerton to Plainville and return and the other out of Winsted to Plainville and return. This passenger service ended in Dec., 1927. The unused CNE line east of Pine Meadow was used for a time as storage for old out-of-service boxcars and I have seen photos of such taken on the bridge at Satan's Kingdom. - - - There was an exception for a time in freight service between Winsted and New Hartford as the except Sunday New Hartford to Plainville and return local tied up in Winsted each night. From what I have heard, this was just a "caboose hop" with no freight at all handled between these points. Just how long this was done, I am not sure. My next schedule effective Jan.2, 1927 indicates that this local originated in New Haven to New Hartford and return.

Leroy Beaujon
Roseville, CA
  by cnefan

After I finished my message from yesterday concerning the last freight services on the CNE between Winsted and Hartford, it suddenly dawned on me that I had forgotten one other exception to the complete abandonment of freight service between Norfolk Summit and Simsbury. This involved the except Sunday New Haven to New Hartford and return local which made a trip from Collinsville to Canton and return AS REQUIRED. This service is listed in the NH Frt. Schedule for Jan.2, 1927. How long this short stretch of former CNE trackage was used after this date is hard to say as subsequent freight schedules do not list Canton at all.

Leroy Beaujon
Roseville, CA
  by rghammill

I know this is from a while ago, but I live in Canton. Let me know if you're still looking for information and I'll see what I can dig up for you. It would be important to know what era you're interested in as well.

Good luck!