Railroad Forums 

• Cantenary CUT DOWN on Port Road!

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#908490  by Bobby S

I am not sure where to place this dis-pleasement whether here or the NS forum etc... but as I looked out my backyard from my townhome in Perryville MD this morning I was rattled by awe and disbelief! The remnant cantenary pole (minus wire of course) that stood behind my town home was cut down to a shortened pole. WHY is my question. Was it in danger of falling? Was it rotted? Stacked trains made it under with no problem... I don't get it. It has been there from when I moved in at 2007. It was PRR History. Something my railfan friends saw and talked about the minute they walked out on my deck. Is this a plan to replace it? Or is there some other reason? I mean with today's company's bitching about costs and such they actually had money to spend to take this piece of history down! Sad if you ask me! Luckily I took pics of it! My 2 pennies!
 #914014  by Arrestmespi

Because the carrier decided to, its there property and they will do as they please when they please.
Also there is a safety liability to having abandoned cantenary, as well as a possible tax liability. Plus the carrier may be getting money back by scrapping useless equipment.
Abandoned infrastructure is a liability to be stolen by thieves and a liability for the thieves getting hurt on the carriers property.