Railroad Forums 

• Canadian Pacific Assistant Signalman-Mpls./St. Paul

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1362986  by Jim1348

I noticed this announcement yesterday from Canadian Pacific. It lists the deadline to apply: 10/26/2015. I haven't emailed them yet. I am sure that they just simply made a mistake. No big deal. I have applied for this in the past, but never heard a thing. It does seem like they post this position several times a year. Does anybody happen to know if there is a lot of turn over in these types of jobs? I already have a CDL, but I don't currently work with heavy equipment such as backhoe, trencher, or truck driving. I do have an FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License (GROL) and an FCC Amateur Extra license. Does anybody happen to know what they give preference to? For example, if a guy that drives truck every day, with no background showing interest in electrical/electronic field, preferable over a guy that has electrical/electronic background, but no heavy equipment experience? Also, in my background I did get one petty misdemeanor speeding citation over two years ago. Is a speeding citation a killer for a few years? I do know that the railroads are ALL about safety. I am not proud of the speeding citation. All I can do is admit it, own it, learn from it, and move forward.

https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... ti7EQY0%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Career Opportunities: Assistant Signalman - Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (44284)
Req Id 44284 - Posted 12/22/2015 - United States - Minnesota - St. Paul
Job Description Print Preview

Req ID: 44284
Department: Operations - Engineering
Job Type: Full-Time
% of Travel: 60-70%
# of Positions: 2.00
Compensation Rate: $25.91 - $26.82 per hour
Job Available to: Internal & External
Deadline to apply: 10/26/2015

Canadian Pacific (TSX:CP)(NYSE:CP) is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to eight major ports, including Vancouver and Montreal, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of Canadian Pacific.

JOB DESCRIPTION

Entry level position to assist and be trained in maintenance and construction of wayside signals and crossing signals normally in a mobile crew.

JOB REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants desired to have background in outdoor related construction, having some experience with heavy equipment such as backhoe, trencher, truck driving, and have a background showing interest in electrical/electronic field.
Required to travel.
CDL license or ability to obtain.
Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather.
Due to the safety-sensitive nature of this position, you must not have had any drug or alcohol-related offenses within the past 2 years and no more than 1 within the past 5 years.

WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:

Flexible and competitive benefits package
Completive company pension plan
Annual Fitness Subsidy

Medical Requirements:
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety sensitive position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.

Drug Test Elements:

All new hires are required to undergo a drug screen. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping CP safe and drug free.

Background Investigation:

The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:

Criminal history check

Education verification

Last 3 years of driving history

Last 7 years of employment history; includes military service
Social Security number verification

CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.