Railroad Forums 

• Canaan CT Station

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #77134  by CVRA7

Last week we took our first CNE Tour of the exploration (leaves down) season and ended up at Canaan. We were saddened to see that there has been no progress over the past year with the possible exception of some foundation stabilization work at the north end of the building. There is a tree growing in the open cellar of the CNE wing, and even the construction fences around the building are falling over. What ever happened to the promised funding? Was it all political hot air?
One would think at least the grounds could be kept up a little better - I thought there was some historical group that took over the project. :(
 #155960  by Ale Rider

Not much more evident on Aug 10 2005. Looks like a group has a sign on a caboose outside the surviving portion of the station and is still looking for donations.

I think it will probably take 10 years to get the station re-built if it ever gets re-built.

I will give a little money to the effort once I find out where to send it.

Ed