Railroad Forums 

• Canaan, Conn.-- Track Question

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1426387  by H.F.Malone

Perhaps someone has access to NYNH&H track charts or valuation maps; I'm looking for the degree of curvature for the NW leg of the Canaan wye (behind the station, next to Collin's Diner parking lot), and the turnout number for the turnout connecting that track with the north-south main track. That's the turnout with the switch stand right at the sidewalk, south side of Route 7.

Thanks in advance!
 #1426948  by Greg Moore

I think you mean NE leg BTW.

That site is great (though awkward interface)
http://collections.ctdigitalarchive.org ... :860068321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should get you to the right map.
What's interesting to see (at least to me) was I didn't realize the CNE (labelled there as H&CWRR) had any tracks east of the diamond. I vaguely recall the ones west of the diamond.
 #1426979  by NaugyRR

I believe the spur that goes up to the plant behind Stop & Shop is considered former CNE rails. How the setup looked when the diamond was still functional, I do not know. The east side of the diamond used to have some rails sunk into the ground behind the station, but I don't know if they're still there or not with the renovation work going on at the depot.
 #1427153  by fender52

If I remember in my old age, there were legs on the north and south end that ran to the east to the CNE track that ran at one time to Norfolk and east. I don't remember if there was a leg that ran from the south to the west side of the CNE there to Lakeville.
 #1427355  by Ridgefielder

NaugyRR wrote:I believe the spur that goes up to the plant behind Stop & Shop is considered former CNE rails. How the setup looked when the diamond was still functional, I do not know. The east side of the diamond used to have some rails sunk into the ground behind the station, but I don't know if they're still there or not with the renovation work going on at the depot.
Yes the spur to the lime plant is the former CNE main to Hartford via Winsted and Simsbury. So far as I know the only other surviving CNE trackage still in use is the CNZR Griffins Line from Hartford to Bloomfield, although there may be something remaining in the Maybrook, NY area west of the Hudson.
 #1429073  by Backshophoss

That track in Poughkeepsie was a"backdoor" interchange to the Maybrook line when the New Haven RR still exisited.
Believe CSX still runs a local out of it's yard in Poughkeepsie.
 #1430482  by krispy

Engineer Spike wrote:As far as active CNE track, whatever is left from Campbell Hall, toward the west side of the bridge is CNE. Did they abandon the Hospital Branch in Poughkeepsie?
At one point approx. +10 years ago, one person attempted to create a shortline that would've used the Hospital branch to connect to the Smith Street industries. It didn't get off of the ground account his not working well with the City and once he gave up the City went to great lengths to make sure the trackage would never be used again, including I believe giving the ROW to Marist. The tracks were all pulled up including most of the tracks in the Smith St. cluster and it's now called the CSX Utility Corridor (track leading from the Hospital Branch (old P&E?) to the Smith St. sidings.