Railroad Forums 

• Can you suggest a good digital "starter camera?"

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#501042  by Tracer

I am looking to buy a digital camera/lens to get into rail photos, i really don't want to spend more than $400. Any suggestions on cameras and/or what i features should look for???

Thank You!!!!!

#501093  by CarterB

The Nikon COOLPIX P50 at under $200 is a great camera. It has a wide angle/zoom lens, and 8.1megapixels which is fine and very importantly SDHC / SD / MMC card slot plus 52MB of built-in memory. For a bit more, the P60 has a better zoom (5X)

Nikon, IMHO, makes the best cameras anyway.

#501263  by Conrail4evr

Canon Powershot S3 or S5. I know quite a few people who've used them and get results comparable with that of a Digital SLR (if you know how to use it correctly, of course).

#501337  by RailBus63

Are you interested in taking pictures or learning photography? Point-and-shoot cameras are good for taking photographs but they are often limited if you want to start taking more creative photos. If you are looking to go beyond that, you may want to consider spending a little more for a digital SLR like the Nikon D40 or the Canon Digital Rebel XTi. Those cameras will give you the automated settings to take good photographs right out of the box while also offering the opportunity to grow as you learn more advanced photographic techniques.

#501351  by CarterB

I would agree, if you really want to get into photography, get a good SLR Digital....but....expensive.

I have 7 cameras, ranging from a very compact, usable and quite good Nikon digital "point and shoot" (P50) for under $200, up to a full Nikon SLR with three AF zoom lenses, tripods, timers, timed flashes, etc., as well as other regular film cameras Nikon, Leica, Chinon, etc.

I still maintain that for quick "on the spot" easy to carry, set up and shoot,
you can't beat the Nikon P50 or the new just out P60. Canon is good, but in my experience Nikon is better.

In any case, things to look out for is MEMORY....either on initial mem card or or for sure the ability to purchase additional memory cards so you always have enough capacity. Other things...make sure that the zoom capability is sufficient for your use (3X, 5X, 10X etc), that the rechargeable battery in the camera is sufficient for hundred or so shots w/wo flash, and that that you can easily upload the images to your computer without a lot of 'twain devices' or program changes. The Nikon system, for example, will upload the images directly as .jpg files. If you were planning on making 8X10 or larger prints, you may want .tif or .gif imagery. If you want to use files to make a digital photo album, send emails, post on websites, etc. the .jpg is fine.
Last edited by CarterB on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#501382  by Finch

I got a Fujifilm S5200 as my first "real" camera, with rail photography being the primary use. Being the only high-quality camera I have ever owned, I cannot personally compare it to other cameras. However, I have been very pleased. The long optical zoom (10x) is most useful, both for getting a variety of interesting shots and for grabbing quick pictures of something "unique" that you just barely saw from far away. The S5200 has everything from full-auto to full manual modes, and various things in between. It has been an excellent camera to grow into.

One of the very few downsides to my S5200 is that it doesn't have optical image stabilization...a feature that helps reduce blurring from camera shake. I knew about this going in and decided to do it anyways because the camera seemed like a great one for the money ($230). I do not regret my choice at all.

The S5200 is no longer a current model. It looks like the S700 is the current closest Fuji available. You may be able to find a 5200 though. In general I recommend browsing super-zoom cameras, Fuji has a few and of course many other companies have good offerings. http://www.dpreview.com has lots of good reviews. Read a lot of them so you know you are getting a good camera...that's what I did and I couldn't be happier.

#501459  by RailBus63

CarterB wrote:I would agree, if you really want to get into photography, get a good SLR Digital....but....expensive.
Not really - both Nikon and Canon offer starter kits with lens in the $450-500 range.

#501488  by Finch

I think I am living proof that you don't need a DSLR to get into "good" digital photography. But if you have the money and/or find a good deal, knock yourself out. :-)

#501637  by mxdata

I find that the intended subjects and use tend to drive the camera preference. My pocket digital camera is great to take advantage of photographic situations that present themselves while riding the equipment, but when you use it around the shop the "barrel" shaped distortion by the zoom lens gets very noticable and is sometimes very distracting. For the really precise stuff I carry a digital SLR, and for the architectural and night stuff I also carry an old fashioned non-zoom lens from my previous film cameras that works on the digital (much less image distortion and very little lens flare in night shots, as well as being a lot more durable than the newer lenses).

MX

#502004  by lb101

Costco has a great deal on the rebel but it might be al little more because you get a $600 camera $300 lens and a bag for around $550. I love my rebel band it is a great help with doing professional shots and with that it is helping start a railway/ aviation photography business.

#502479  by Tracer

thanks for the advice, i'm leaning towards buying an entry level slr camera.

#502546  by lb101

This is a entry level slr camera that was my first and I find it to be a great deal two lenses for one plus the camera and bag.

#502603  by jz441

Triker wrote:thanks for the advice, i'm leaning towards buying an entry level slr camera.
Olympus E-510 or Nikon D40x.