Railroad Forums 

• can snow affect rail traffic

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1368136  by csxt43

I have a question for those employed by NS and CSX. Has the snow that fell on the east coast over the weekend hindered rail traffic? Specifically in the Baltimore area and any trains running into southwestern PA. The reason I asked; I work in a mine in sw PA. We were told that we were idle for this Tuesday. Reason being is that they can't trains to the prep plant because of the snow. Does anybody know of any truth to this or is this a bs excuse?
 #1368207  by litz

By and large, snow isn't going to stop a train ... it's big, massive, heavy, and has a pretty good sized plow on the front.

Now, really deep, compacted drifts ... yeah, but smaller stuff? nope.

what snow DOES stop is ... switches from operating, crews from reaching their trains, crews getting home from their trains, MoW workers from doing things like freeing frozen switches, etc.

You can't move trains without people, and the ability to safely guarantee the routing.
 #1368584  by Engineer Spike

I've worked in a blizzard where the trains couldn't get made up because each switch had to be shoveled out every time. One other time things were really bad. I outlawed, and a taxi wouldn't have been able to go out. The trainmaster sent out the relief crew with a light engine.
 #1368617  by freightguy

In answer to your title question post; indeed. I worked freight on Long Island with New York and Atlantic Railway. A huge storm near Chicago or Buffalo would effect rail traffic coming to the island. Cars maybe wouldn't show up for a week and then you would get slammed with inbound traffic from CSX. A lot of times cars would come in with snow on them from where they originated especially when CP RAIL(D&H) ran down to Queens, NY.