Railroad Forums 

• Can anyone suggest a good web site to upload my photos?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#660066  by bellstbarn

As long as you keep your own archives on CD's or other storage devices, you can try out the various services, free or pay. When I approached my free limit on Flickr, I tried Webshots. Positives about Flickr: the search machine does a good, wide job, picking up more than you might want. Also, for a miser like myself who keeps to the 200-photo limit, it gives you the stats on all your 200 photos. I stay under by junking the unpopular shots. On the other hand, Webshots allows far more photos, but gives for free the stats on only 3 albums. I find that Webshots gives me choices of codes when I try to link my shots to various message boards, as here on railroad.net. Recall that railroad.net cannot link to your computer but must link to a 24/7 service.
-----
A Webshots list comparing their premium and free services is here:
http://www.webshots.com/html/matrix.html
-----
The people on this railroad.net will probably offer better and much more detailed advice than mine. A recent article caused by policy changes at Kodak Easy Share (article source now forgotten) discussed five or six of the top storage sites. The business and the terms are in a state of flux, so it is important to use your own storage tools also.
Best wishes.[/b] Joe
 #660152  by EMTRailfan

If you're only interested in sharing them with fellow enthusiasts, rrpicturearchives is good. You have to join, and you may be delayed in being able to post photos there "Due to bandwidth limitations." It took me 2 attempts to be able to post there, but there is no limitation as to how many photos you are allowed to my knowledge.

railpictures.net is good too, although they are 'magaizine like', in that they screen their submitted photos, but if you have a basic understanding of lighting, rule of 1/3s, etc., you shouldn't have many trouble. I've had magazines, etc. contact me through RP to use my photos.

These 2 sites are very different. railpictures is a photography site specializing in railroad photos. Although RRPA does have alot of excellent photos, it leans more toward being a database type of site for modelers, etc.

I submit to both, check my signature.