Railroad Forums 

• Camping + Trains

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#520565  by Tadman

I'm planning a camping trip, which I would like to be near a mountain range or a lake. Or both. Does anybody know a good place to camp, with cabins preferrably, that also has good train watching? Also, I'm looking to stay within 600 miles from Chicago.

#520643  by Rockingham Racer

Too bad about the 600 mile limit from Chicago; there's a great place just west of Hood River, OR in Viento State Park. It's on the Portland-Hinkle main line. Columbia River is beyond the railroad.

#520751  by trailryder

I don't think it's exactly what you are looking for but you could check out Palisades Park in Savanna, Illinois it's right on the BNSF line to the twin cities and right around the corner from the IC&E also right on the Mississippi River and is very Scenic.

http://www.stateparks.com/mississippi_palisades.html
Check out the photo gallery on the above site, a few photos show the view of the BNSF tracks

Later
Bill

#534655  by Hawko

I think Palisades State Park is an excellent suggestion. It is only about three hours from Chicago.

May I also suggest Wyalusing State park in Bagley Wisconsin. It is near Prairie Du Chien, WI.
Their website is: www.dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/wyalusing/

This park is 500 feet above the Mississsippi and Wisconsin Rivers You may also want to check out the Wyalusing Recreation Area two miles South of the park entrance. The BNSF Aurora Sub. is adjacent to both places. It is about five hours from Chicago.

#536053  by Nukengineer

Wyalusing is a good spot to watch BNSF. It doesnt have cabins, but has hiking trails by the rails and is on the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers, so the boating and fishing is good. Wisconsin has many state parks near (20ish miles) rail lines, but most lines dont see that much rail traffic. In south central WI, the WSOR is the main road. Janesville has quite a bit of traffic, Madison sees a train or 2 a day plus locals. Many state parks nearby. I'm not familiar w/ SE Wisconsin. A good place would be in the Wisconsin Dells or Lacrosse area. Devils Lake state park is near a WSOR line that sees about 2 trains a day in the summer. It is also near Wisconsin Dells (big resort area) and the mid-contenent railway museum which has tourist trains several times daily. It is also near the 400 state trail and the elroy-sparta state trail (w/ 3 tunnels you can bike through). Wildcat Mtn state park is another park near the above 2 trails. Devils lake state park fills fast (weekends are already booked solid), but several other state and county parks are nearby. In the lacrosse area, there are other state parks and sees quite a few trains. There is a 4 or 5 way crossing called grand crossing that is easilly accessible (legally) but without amenities for viewing. The lacrosse river state trail parellels an active rail line running east from lacrosse. Last year, In about 2 hours, I saw 6-8 trains from the trail. The Stevens Point area and Fond du Lac areas also see plenty of rail service and have state parks nearby. I dont think very many of the state parks have cabins, but a quick websearch should identify private campgrounds that might.