Railroad Forums 

• Campground near B&O main line

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#967662  by wirenut

I hope to take a railfan trip along the former B&O main line between Baltimore and Cumberland. I like to find campgrounds that are right along the tracks so I can set up there and watch trains. Does anyone know of any good campgrounds on this line? Preferably on the western end from Harpers Ferry west. I don't need anything big or fancy. I have a self contained truck camper. Even an open parking lot or something that allows overnight parking would work if it was in sight of the tracks. I do want to stay out of bad neighborhoods, especially if I'm in Maryland where they won't let you carry a gun.

Thanks for any suggestions.
 #968043  by poppyl

Brunswick, Maryland -- located between the Potomac and the CSX main. Plenty of action in the area and not far from Point of Rocks as well as Harpers Ferry.

Poppyl
 #968303  by poppyl

Good question. I've always heard it referred to as "the campground." I believe that it is owned by the town of Brunswick as opposed to private ownership. I'd google map Brunswick and see if it appears between the tracks and the river. Also don't know if it accepts campers or just tents. You might call the town of Brunswick offices. Maybe they can give you some more details. I also have to believe that there must be some camping areas close to Harpers Ferry since it is a national park. Again, I'd google "camping" and "Harpers Ferry" and see what pops up, although they may not be convenient to the old B&O main.

Poppyl
 #978753  by wirenut

Thanks very much for posting that link, that's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, they close on Oct. 31 and I will be traveling the next weekend. I will keep them in mind for future travels but I guess I'm back to square one for this trip.