Railroad Forums 

• Camaro compatibility

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#12491  by thebigc

Back in the old RRNet, there was a thread discussing the Camaro CCs and the coaches they could be used with. Well, today I had the 5160 on my train and saw a panel above the radio with a Comet Ib, Comet II/Comet III, Comet IV, Comet II OVHD(overhauled?) switch and No Motion, End door, and Center door bypass switches. So I guess they are compatible with the whole fleet.

That settles that.
 #12499  by transit383

thebigc wrote:Back in the old RRNet, there was a thread discussing the Camaro CCs and the coaches they could be used with. Well, today I had the 5160 on my train and saw a panel above the radio with a Comet Ib, Comet II/Comet III, Comet IV, Comet II OVHD(overhauled?) switch and No Motion, End door, and Center door bypass switches. So I guess they are compatible with the whole fleet.

That settles that.
I KNEW I wasn't going crazy when I kept insisting that they were indeed compatible with everything! :D

As far as that panel goes, (unrebuilt) Comet II and III are grouped together, so does this mean that the unrebuilt C2s and C3s were able to run together, despite the long doors on the C3? I've been wondering about that for some time.

Also, can you describe how that panel works? I'm curious as to what would happen if there were a mixed set, how would the switch operate?

#12506  by Irish Chieftain

If the Comet IBs were indeed compatible with the "rest of the fleet", then they would be mixed with the rest of the fleet right now, which they are not. I am quite fond of seeing the all-Comet IB trains, I have to say—gives an image of what may have been possible on the E-L had the Arrow Is been rebuilt for its Morristown Lines (i.e until the locomotive comes into view)...

And is it possible that the center door bypass switch is left over from when they were Arrow I MUs...?

I have not seen unrebuilt Comet IIs mixed with Comet IIIs on a train. If anyone has any pics of such a thing, post away...
Last edited by Irish Chieftain on Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#12507  by thebigc

That might have been a little ambiguous on my part. There are two grouping for the coaches and a two position switch: In the left position you have Comet Ib and Comet II (the stuff without center doors and/or computer controlled doors). In the right position, is the rest: Comet III, Comet IV and Comet II OVHD, which I assume means overhauled. No mention was made of the C5s, but they would fall in the "right" category. If you ever see any mixture of the two categories, it's probably an equipment move as they're not compatible.

#12516  by transit383

If you ever see any mixture of the two categories, it's probably an equipment move as they're not compatible.
So that answers that, the C3s were not compatible with the C2s. The Comet IBs sort of bridge the gap between the two fleets.

I recall that when the C1Bs were rebuilt/created in 1987, they were designed to be compatible with the new C3s to be delivered and used on the ACL. I've never seen them with anything other than the old equipment though. Perhaps NJT tested the C1Bs with the C3s and did not like the results? That doesn't explain why they added the C4 and C2M to that switch though.

#12537  by Sirsonic

Compatible to NJT means the couplers couple together amd the brakes apply and release, so by their theory, all NJT cars are compatible, including stone cars. In the real world, regardless of the wishes of the less than genius mechanical dept who installed the switches in the IB's, they are by no means compatible. They do not have disc brakes, and the CIIM's and up do. The ride would be like the ride in the back of a cement mixer on a bumpy road, with flat tires.

Not that any of this wwould stop NJT. They will just blame the bad ride on the engineer since the mechanical dept are gods who are not to be questioned. Their word is law, even though they havent been right about just about anything yet.

#12552  by nick11a

WAHAHAHAH!!!!!! I was right. I started that thread in the old forum.

Back in my young days in RR.net about a year ago, I claimed that I saw 1 Comet IB mixed in with a 2M, 3, 4, 5 set in February of last year. No one believed me! No one! That thread ended with the general consenses that I was seeing things! Some people did however say that they thought that the Comet IBs were compatible with the new equipment. Actually, BigC, I recall you thought they were compatible as well. You actually went out of your way and asked a mechanic if they were and the guy said no (thanks for doing that for me btw!) Now do you believe me? Huh? And I swear for those of you who don't I did see it. No doubt in my mind. I saw one Comet IB on a very snowy day last year on the train I rode home from NYP. It was an 8:02PM Dover Train. Whether they are compatible or not, I SAW it!

EDIT: AND if they are not compatible (in terms of doors and all), then at that time, they may have had car problems due to the snow and grabbed any car they could and just locked out the doors in that one IB. BTW, This was before the rule stating that any train departing its terminal must not have any doors locked out. This way, it would have worked. It may have been bumpy as hell but they could have done it like this.

Jtgshu and arrow, you've met me and know me pretty well. Tell them all I am an honest person and I wouldn't lie about something like this. And everyone else in this forum: You people know I am pretty reputable and wouldn't try to pull something over you (except on April Fool's Day).

#13154  by nick11a

Anyone believe me? :(

#13160  by Jtgshu

Yea, Nick, ive met ya.......

And your as nuts as I am......hahahahhaahahhaha

#13176  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:Yea, Nick, ive met ya.......

And your as nuts as I am......hahahahhaahahhaha
No, I think I'm worse. :D