Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1065799  by Tadman

I'm booked on the Starlight out of SJC to LA in a few Sundays. It has a 9:55a-10:07a layover in SJC. Caltrain's first train of the day is scheduled to arrive SJC at 9:51a, 16 minutes ahead of Amtrak 11's departure.

How much can I trust Caltrain to make this connection work? It's a 16 minute connection contingent on a Sunday AM commuter train, which is probably half-empty, so it sounds good, but if Caltrain has a hard time keeping this schedule, I'll get a taxi. Thoughts?
 #1065883  by kaitoku

Caltrain should be alright, barring a grade crossing accident or the like. It's the Starlight I'd be concerned about. The southbound run can be very late. You won't miss the train, but you may have a long wait at San Jose Diridon.
 #1065904  by Fan Railer

Well, I will say that from my two week experience with the system during my recent (last 3 weeks) visit, Caltrain weekday service is more reliable than its weekend service. Weekend service averages around 15-20 minutes late consistently. Weekdays are, I would say, 80% on time.
 #1066218  by Tadman

I like the way you're thinking. Too bad Julie has massive ADD...
 #1067910  by Patrick Boylan

What's especially frustrating is when she can't hear things that you could better do punching numbers. "Say yes or no" usually will accept pressing telephone numbers 1 or 2, but many times like this Julie doesn't respond properly to either voice or touchpad.

In her defense, there are other robots besides Julie who also have hearing problems.