Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#402483  by lensovet

This past weekend, I was kicked off a Caltrain train because I paid my fare with Translink. The fare inspector on the train was of the opinion that all Translink readers were turned off and it was impossible for me to have paid my fare, and consequently, I was a non-paying passenger.

Read all the details, as well background info and Caltrain's response to a report I filed with them in regards to the matter, at http://wiki.lensovet.byethost12.com/Caltrain
 #403006  by farmerjohn

lensovet wrote:This past weekend, I was kicked off a Caltrain train because I paid my fare with Translink. The fare inspector on the train was of the opinion that all Translink readers were turned off and it was impossible for me to have paid my fare, and consequently, I was a non-paying passenger.

Read all the details, as well background info and Caltrain's response to a report I filed with them in regards to the matter, at http://wiki.lensovet.byethost12.com/Caltrain
Wow, I would of gotten the name of the one chick going over the pa.
Thats gotta be some form of going against the guidelines. Legally as well.
I hope I run into trouble on a cal train when I move to the bay area Friday.
No way would I let somebody embaress or putt the blame on me like that.
Good luck to you!.
 #403013  by lensovet

farmerjohn wrote:Wow, I would of gotten the name of the one chick going over the pa.
I did, she was the same one as the fare inspector; her name was Sarah.
apparently Caltrain and Translink management had no problem with her behavior though...good to know!
 #403055  by farmerjohn

lensovet wrote:
farmerjohn wrote:Wow, I would of gotten the name of the one chick going over the pa.
I did, she was the same one as the fare inspector; her name was Sarah.
apparently Caltrain and Translink management had no problem with her behavior though...good to know!
Yeah, dosnt become a problem till their are lawyers involved.
I mean theirs gotta be something for public embaressment.
Plus they did get your money to ride, thats almost like stealing.
They kicked you off a train for simply denying something that they could of easily checked for. What id like to know is if the machine you used is now inactive!. I could see it happening so you would have no other way to prove so but by the records. Down here if the Metrolink tickets are not working and theirs no time to buy a ticket at the only machine they have up and running they usually let everybody go. They do that because they do not sell tickets on board and I dont think the sheriff or sheriffs on board want to write out a large number of tickets let alone have enough in a book for the whole train during the rush. Whats the diffrence from a fare inspector and a conductor? you guys dont have conductors?.

#403067  by lensovet

i believe there are one or two conductors, who sometimes also (but not always) are the fare inspectors....
i'm of the general opinion that proof-of-payment systems suck in general on rail ...

#409133  by Nasadowsk

Go to the media and raise a stink. Bring as much evidence (reciepts, card, show them the machine, etc) as you can. Contact newspaper 'help desks', TV, local political.people, anyone.

They've acknowleged they took your money? Great. Bring those emails, too.

Public shame fixes these things, a lot. Government agencies are like little kids, they'll do whatever they want until caught, then they're redfaced and try to 'make things better'...