Railroad Forums 

• Cajon scene that will change soon

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#451904  by erielackawanna

Took this shot a couple weeks back. I realized after I shot it that all of these engines are in jeopardy of disappearing (California emission controls may soon not allow them)... and with the triple tracking of Cajon, this section of Blue Cut will soon look different.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 496&nseq=0

Charles Freericks

#452515  by uhaul

With the GP30u over 40 years old is it not exempt from the emission standards? I can understand why the 16-18 year old B40-8Ws would not be exempt as well as the 18-19 year old B40-8s.

Sputnik 1 50th Anniversary
10/4/57-10/4/07

#452531  by erielackawanna

Good question, but I don't know the answer.

#452871  by SlowFreight

Either way, we'd all better enjoy those second-generation units (AND the blue/yellow paint) while they last. When SD50s and 60s are getting put out to pasture--and 40-2s are being cut up!--those 30s and 35s are certainly living on borrowed time.

Think about it: back in 1987, how many Class I's had units from the 1940s on their rosters? Certainly not many...and the CF7's certainly didn't look like they did in the 40's! (I'll stop waxing nostalgic :-D )

Thanks for the picture!

#458216  by BlockLine_4111

The state of California (aka republic of California) is simply way out of control.

#461604  by uhaul

BlockLine_4111, you just confused me to the extreme.

Go Red Sox
 #462050  by Komachi

Also, in response to the original posting...

I believe change is one of the few constants one can rely on throughout life, besides death and taxes.

That's also a wonderful dynamic that's part of that catalyst for change known as "progress."

#466430  by GN 599

Up here in Oregon and Washington they have to clean the carbon out of anything they send into CA. I'm not sure what that entails but they keep certain consists for PASBAR's and EVEBAR's ''cause they're going to California. As stated before older locomotives are exempt. As long as a locomotive is on the roster I wouldnt suspect it to be banned from California.

#469321  by erielackawanna

Union Pacific at least, is now putting SD70ACes on many of the local haulers that used to have SD60Ms. I believe this is totally an air quality issue.

#469335  by UPRR engineer

Whats odd about those AC70's, it takes forever for them to idle down after you bring her to a stop. They arent smokers yet, but seems like there throwing alot more CO2 in the air then they should because of it. Maybe im just runnng them too hard.

#469369  by erielackawanna

UPRR engineer wrote:Whats odd about those AC70's, it takes forever for them to idle down after you bring her to a stop. They arent smokers yet, but seems like there throwing alot more CO2 in the air then they should because of it. Maybe im just runnng them too hard.
There seems to be a disconnect between particle pollution laws and greenhouse emission laws. I read that the Pizza Oven MP15 that UP modified to capture soot and then burn it off, releases it as CO2.

Go figure.