Railroad Forums 

• Caboose, Solomons, MD

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#423899  by caboose9

Hi,

Has anyone seen or heard of a caboose at a bar or elsewhere in Solomons, MD?

Thanks, Roger

#426606  by CB&Q Fan

I live in the area and have never seen or heard of a caboose in Solomons. It is a quiet little boating community on the Chesapeake Bay with no rails within 40 miles.

#426804  by caboose9

CB&Q Fan wrote, "I live in the area and have never seen or heard of a caboose in Solomons. It is a quiet little boating community on the Chesapeake Bay with no rails within 40 miles."

Hi,

Is it too quiet to have any bar(s) or restaurant(s)?

The caboose in question was an old wood hack in poor condition from Emmitsburg, MD, so it would have been trucked in.

Thanks, Roger
 #428124  by Trackbolt

I do not know of a caboose in Solomons but I would not be suprised if the Calvert Marine :-D Museum put one up on display. I usually don't get any closer to Solomon's than the boat ramp under the Thomas Johnson Bridge. Solomons or Drum Point to be precise was the planned terminus of the Baltimore and Drum Point Railroad. Sadly it never got past the right of way grading before it went bust... a number of times. If you travel south on MD Route 2 from the traffic circle in Lothian you can catch glimpses of the cuts and fills that were constructed in the 1800's. MD Route 2 and MD Route 4 parallel the right of way for the thirty some miles from Lothian and you can see the railroad grade especially in the winter in Prince Frederick, St. Leonard, Lusby and Drum Point. That right of way never saw the first tie or rail!
In Chesapeake Beach MD next to the RonNReel is the Chesapeake Beach Railway terminus. Parked on a section of panel track next to the old CB RY station is half of the parlor car Delores or maybe Rio Grande I can't remember. It was used on the CB.
Solomons used to be a quite town of watermen. Now a days it is getting trendy with high dollar condos and the lot.
As for bars there is the Tiki Bar. Its a fun place.

Tony Mig