Railroad Forums 

• Caboose Question

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1556921  by planespotting

How many cabooses like Conrail Caboose #22137, usually on train ME-2, do you think are still in revenue service across the U.S.? Excluding tourist trains, is #22137 the last of its kind?
 #1567935  by eolesen

I know of about a handful still actively used on the UP near Chicago, mostly on switching or local jobs where there's a long back-up move involved.

As for revenue vs. non-revenue service... I'd say they're still considered in revenue service if the railroad is being paid to move those cars from the yard to the customer's siding or a transloading track. If they're moving their own cars to storage or a repair facility, and need a caboose for safety/convenience reasons, that would probably be considered a non-revenue move.
 #1568473  by lvrr325

A caboose carries no cargo and thus is not in revenue service.

A privately owned caboose move may generate revenue for the railroad but it's not technically in service either like a box car or hopper or what have you.
 #1587007  by BR&P

Many railroads now designate those cars as "shoving platforms" rather than "caboose". As noted above they are used when a long reverse move is made and a crewmember has to protect the move. I suspect, but can't say absolutely, that the change in name is due to various regulations which specifically apply to a "caboose" such as safety glazing on the windows. Also possible may be union agreements which require stoves, seats and other amenities to be provided in a "caboose".

Also some private companies, and also the military, still have cars which we would call a "caboose" but may be considered "rider cars". These are used for people accompanying special shipments such as oversize generators, transformers, or specialized military or nuclear moves.