Railroad Forums 

• Cables too low

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1399974  by george matthews

The Edinburgh-Glasgow line is the busiest in Scotland. I know it well - from 50 years ago. The error would be from contractors of Network Rail - the track and infrastructure owner.
 #1400006  by David Benton

The comments are interesting. It appears the EU has changed some clearance provisions since the project was started. It is not like it is unsafe, just it does not meet standards brought in after the electrification was designed, but before it was finished been built.
However , another comment says they knew of these changes.
Regardless , the original article fails to mention any of this.
 #1400011  by george matthews

And of course do European standards apply to rail lines in Britain, after "Brexit"?

The real conditions which this line needs to meet are occasional high velocity winds.
 #1400091  by johnthefireman

I would imagine that if the UK still wants profitable inter-operability across Europe then European standards will have to be met. Also, European train control and communication systems are being installed in stages, and I imagine it would be very difficult and expensive to reverse that process.
 #1400141  by george matthews

I think it very unlikely that any more trains from the other side will enter Britain. They are unlikely to visit further than London.
 #1400285  by johnthefireman

I agree with you on passenger trains, but I think you are forgetting freight trains, which run all over the network. They may exchange motive power at the point of entry, but the engine still need to meet European standards.
 #1400311  by george matthews

Freight trains will certainly change locomotives at Folkestone, and will adopt all normal British rules. They will all run as British trains once they are out of the tunnel.
 #1400366  by johnthefireman

Sorry, there was a typo in the last sentence of my post - I meant wagons, not engines.

Loading gauges will need to meet European standards, as will wagon bogies, regardless of which motive power is used to haul the train.
 #1400415  by george matthews

When the Tunnel opened the plan was to use Class 92 locos to take them through the tunnel and on to third rail tracks and British high voltage lines. They could also operate on French lines.

Now that there are wires the whole way, and no need for third rail capability, the situation may have changed. I don't know if freight trains use the High Speed Line.