Railroad Forums 

• cab signals in steam locomotives?

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#503303  by MBTA3247

An article in the latest issue of Classic Trains mentions Automatic Train Control displays inside a Chicago & North Western class H-1 4-8-4 in 1952. I've never heard of cab signals in steam locomotives before, so I'm wondering how common they were.

#503361  by steemtrayn

http://www.prslhs.com/Steam_Photos/PRR_K4_5495.jpg

The box on the running board just aft of the cylinders is for ATC equipment.

#503368  by jgallaway81

Any engine running on Pennsy's lines between Boston & Washington DC as well as from Newark to pittsburgh would require cab signals.

PRR cabs were installed in the late 1920's I beleive, and considering the above territory, would likely have been on a signifigant fraction of the PRR steam fleet... if not on the entire fleet.

#503489  by H.F.Malone

Some others-- CB&Q, New Haven, LIRR, AT&SF.
 #503503  by rdganthracite

MBTA3247 wrote:An article in the latest issue of Classic Trains mentions Automatic Train Control displays inside a Chicago & North Western class H-1 4-8-4 in 1952. I've never heard of cab signals in steam locomotives before, so I'm wondering how common they were.
Anything that ran on The Reading's Bethlehem Branch had to be cab signaled. That included steam, diesel and electric.

#503637  by LIL BUDDY

I believe the UP also had "steam era" cab signals. IIRC, these were two aspect vs. the 3 and 4 aspect type they have today. I'll dig through my pics and see if I have a shot of the "old style" one.

#505940  by Low_water

Atlantic Coast Line also had them.

ATS

#505944  by amtrakhogger

The Santa Fe had (and BNSF still has) an inductive type automatic train
stop which is considerably different than cab signalling.

#508457  by EDM5970

614 had to have cab signals to run on NJ Transit. Maybe the most modern application-

#515155  by rrboomer

Rock Island and Milw also had cab signals.

#515205  by mxdata

The folks at NJ Transit still have some great stories to tell about how much fun it was installing the cab signals on the 614.

#515211  by EDM5970

I can imagine some of the fun, putting cab on 614. The air is air, hopefully upgraded to 26, but how do you do power knockdown? Where are the ER and GF relays?

I imagine some sort of break-away link, and an air cylinder, were incorporated into the throttle linkeage?
 #515215  by LCJ

Wikipedia wrote:Cab signaling in the United States was driven by a 1922 ruling by the Interstate Commerce Commission that trains would be limited to a speed not exceeding 80mph without some form of automatic train stop [system]. Now while several large railroads including the Santa Fe and New York Central decided to fulfill the letter of the requirement by installing intermittent inductive train stop devices, the Pennsylvania Railroad saw an opportunity to improve operational efficiency and installed the first continuous cab signal systems.

In response to the Pennsylvania Railroad lead, the ICC mandated that some of the nation's other large railroads had to equip at least one division with continuous cab signal technology as a test to compare technologies and operating practices.
From what I remember from the history of this, a particularly nasty/deadly accident on the PRR (can't recall exactly where, but I think it was in Maryland or Delaware) was the reason this ruling was made by the ICC and implemented in 1922. Note that this was long before diesel-electric or electric power on the PRR.