Railroad Forums 

• Ca 1940 timetable for Boston to NY/Wash

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #910518  by adpurple

I'm a new user, so please forgive me if these are stupid questions.

I'd like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of a ca. 1940 timetable for travel from South Station to NY and beyond to Washington.

Also, if a traveler were coming into Boston's North Station (again, ca 1940), how would he typically get to South Station? Was there a scheduled shuttle or streetcar that ran between the two, or would he take a cab instead?
 #910612  by Noel Weaver

I pulled a public timetable from my files dated July 21, 1940 and here is what I found, be advised that all times are stated in Eastern Standard Time so you will add an hour for Daylight Saving Time:
Between Boston and New York there was a train every hour more or less on the hour from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM of which 3 trains in each direction were through to the PRR and thus ran in or out of Penn Station in New York instead of Grand Central Terminal.
Through trains from Boston to Washington at that time were:
175 Leave Boston 8:00 AM, arrive New York (Penn Station) 1:12 PM leave New York 1:30 PM arrive Washington 5:30 PM
177 Leave Boston 11:00 AM, arrive New York (Penn Station) 4:12 PM leave New York 4:30 PM arrive Washington 8:20 PM
183 Leave Boston 3:00 PM, arrive New York (Penn Station) 8:05 PM leave New York 8:15 PM arrive Philadelphia (Broad St) 10:05 PM where it terminated
173 Leave Boston 8:00 PM, arrive New York (Penn Station) 2:00 AM leave New York 2:35 AM arrive Washington 7:45 AM
187 Leave Boston 9:40 PM, arrive New York (Penn Station) 4:10 AM leave New York 4:25 AM arrive Philadelphia (Broad St) 6:40 AM where it terminated

From PRR points to Boston:
182 Leave Washington 5:15 AM arrive New York (Penn Station) 9:15 AM leave New York 10:00 AM arrive Boston 2:55 PM another train with the same number at least in the NHRR timetable left Philadelphia (Broad St.) 8:00 AM and these two trains were apparently combined at New York.
174 Leave Washington 9:00 AM arrive New York (Penn Station) 12:50 PM leave New York 1:00 PM arrive Boston 5:55 PM
176 Leave Washington 12:00 NOON arrive New York (Penn Station) 3:45 PM leave New York 4:00 PM arrive Boston 8:55 PM
172 Leave Washington 8:00 PM arrive New York (Penn Station 12:25 AM leave New York 12:45 AM arrive Boston 6:45 AM
178 Leave Philadelphia (Broad St.) 11:50 PM arrive New York (Penn Station 1:40 AM leave New York 2:00 AM arrive Boston 7:25 AM

The worst thing about these schedules was the departures from Grand Central Terminal for most trains but for the through trains they had to depart from Penn Station in New York. Of course this was corrected by Penn Central not too long before Amtrak when all Boston Service was moved from Grand Central Terminal to Penn Station which was a move that in my opinion made a lot of sense.
There was also through service via the B & A through Springfield but it was much slower and nowhere near as convenient.
I do not have any duplicates in my collection from this period. Perhaps you can contact Carl Loucks at 203-245-7531, he is a collector and a dealer and he is very reliable. He might be able to help you obtain a timetable from the period you are looking for.
Hope this helps.
Noel Weaver
 #910659  by 3rdrail

adpurple wrote:I'm a new user, so please forgive me if these are stupid questions.

Also, if a traveler were coming into Boston's North Station (again, ca 1940), how would he typically get to South Station? Was there a scheduled shuttle or streetcar that ran between the two, or would he take a cab instead?
They're only stupid if you wonder and don't ask them. Welcome aboard ! The quickest ways to get to South Station would be to (1) jump on an inbound Main Line El car at North Station, ride to Washington, go downstairs and hop on an outbound Dorchester car, riding one stop to South Station. Had it been 1938 or before (??), the traveler would only have to get on the North Station-South Station Shuttle on the Atlantic Ave. Division of the El - but that ceased in '38. Another possibility (2) would be the #53 bus which replaced the shuttle and ran weekdays only, the advantage with the bus being that it was a one-seat ride without making connections. The bus would probably be the fastest. As far as surface cars (streetcars) are concerned, by 1940 streetcar lines from in-town beginning points weren't running to South Station, with only a few lines coming into Dewey Square from the east (Southie). The taxi would be my last suggestion. I don't know if you are familiar with the area, but it could also be a pleasant walk if your traveler didn't have heavy luggage and had a 1/2 hour to spare.
 #910698  by Ocala Mike

Not 1940, but in the summer of 1957 my mom and I traveled NY (GCT) to Lewiston, ME via the NH shoreline to Boston, then B&M/MEC the rest of the way. Not knowing any better, we took a cab from South Station to North Station, and the midday traffic was so bad that I think we could have walked it and made better time. Lots of road construction as I recall (I was 15 at the time).
 #910704  by Eliphaz

I was going to suggest walking. I have always loved that walk. in the late 70s-early 80's I used to arrive in town at the old Trailways Bus terminal, which was in a sort of rabbit hutch in front of South station, across Summer street, as I recall, not where the bus terminal is now - then Id walk across town to North station and get on a train out to Concord where my parents lived. There are a dozen interesting routes between the two stations, now a-days you can walk the Greenway the whole distance in about 30 minutes.
Alot of cities had the same problem. Grand Central to Penn station is a goodly walk, and not a one-train subway ride either. I have heard that Chicago had 10 train stations in those days !
 #910749  by Noel Weaver

I would not recommend walking between the two stations in Boston. Traffic is not pleasant to deal wth and crossing streets can be a nightmare especially in Boston where some drivers would as soon mow you down as to look at you. In addition if you have any luggage of any kind it will become an ordeal fast.
My own choice for transfer has been the subway to Park Street and Lechmere Trolley from there to North Station.
Actually today a one seat ride is possible between the north side and south side, use the Orange Line between Back Bay and North Station. This is probably the best alternative for somebody with luggage especially northbound, southbound South Station is pleasanter waiting than Back Bay is.
Noel Weaver
 #910878  by 3rdrail

I've lived in the City practically my whole life and I don't recall ever having a "nightmare" crossing the street, but all bone-chilling events aside, a cross-town walk between the two stations would be ideal for someone with some time to kill that isn't lugging heavy bags. You could get a nice mini-tour of the City in that walk with a lot of the flavor of Boston packed in that mile. Coming out of South Station, go directly into Chinatown for either great Americanized or authentic Chinese food. ("Cold tea" means beer.) Walk up Essex to the Essex Deli and pack a great sandwich for the ride later on. Further on up Boylston, drop into the USO and make a donation, cross Tremont into the Common and sit and people watch. Divert slightly and walk over to the Public Garden. Take a ride on the Swan Boats. They have a cathartic effect on your soul. Pick up some great Boston-made cigars in Park Square. (You can smoke them anywhere you go.) Drop into Boston Music on Boylston, where you may find a young Arthur Fiedler ordering a new conductor's baton. (Offer Mr. Fiedler one of your cigars - you may wind up with his autographed old baton.) Check out the myriad of theatres on Tremont, walk up Tremont perhaps stopping in a specialty store or two. You'll wind up right in the middle of Scollay Square, so drop into the Old Howard, grab a beer and watch the burlesque show starring Ann Corio. With a few beers in you, plunk a few bucks down for a tatoo in one of the local parlors. (Put "3rdrail" on your arm in red, white, and blue.) Walk through the West End. Admire the gothic buildings in all their splendor - they're not going to be around for long. Pop out into the North End. If all that walking has made you hungry again, grab a delicioso Italian dinner at one of the best Italian restarantes this side of Sicily. (If you ask for vino in one of them, you're going to get it in a Coca-Cola glass - no license.) Save dessert, because as you walk down Hanover Street, you're going to pass some of the best bakeries in America. A few more steps and you're there. Grab a nice hi-ball at the Iron Horse at North Station for the upcoming trip. You're there ! You've just sampled a small slice of Boston and undoubtably have a few stories to tell !