Railroad Forums 

• C70 Buryrus steam shovel bogie

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1345128  by Petri Sallinen

In the year 1912 The Bucyrus Company sold one C70 type steam shovel to Finland (at that time Finland was the part of Russia). Bogies of this steam shovel look like not as standard bogies used by Bucyrus — they also have three axles not like the Diamond type bogies and the gauge is five feet like we have in Finland. I would like to get information of these bogies — maybe they some US type. Here is some pictures of C70 steam shovel as working condition in Finland in the beginning of 1900´s century, I hope that you will get the idea of bogies. I would be very happy if someone of you have information of this bogie type.

Petri Sallinen
Helsinki, Finland

#1349920  by JWilson

Wow! What a fantastic machine! Wood fired, chain operated hoist, chain operated crowd, Bucyrus name in raised lettering rather than painted on, this is cool. I suspect that the 6 wheel trucks (you call them bogies) were specified due to lightweight rail used where the machine would be working in order to spread the weight over a larger length of track. I had not seen this type of trucks, they may be unique to Bucyrus products.
 #1350335  by Petri Sallinen

JWilson wrote:Wow! What a fantastic machine! Wood fired, chain operated hoist, chain operated crowd, Bucyrus name in raised lettering rather than painted on, this is cool. I suspect that the 6 wheel trucks (you call them bogies) were specified due to lightweight rail used where the machine would be working in order to spread the weight over a larger length of track. I had not seen this type of trucks, they may be unique to Bucyrus products.
I thank you very much for your comments. For a long time we thought that this machine came from the Panama site to Finland as used machine because they had the same five feet gauge in Panama site as we have in our rail network. During last years we have got new information that shows that this machine came direct from Bucyrus factory as the brand new machine. They also sent the man with machine to Finland who showed us how to work with machine. Unfortunately there are any information of trucks in old ordering documents.
 #1391535  by bengt

Petri Sallinen wrote:In the year 1912 The Bucyrus Company sold one C70 type steam shovel to Finland (at that time Finland was the part of Russia). Bogies of this steam shovel look like not as standard bogies used by Bucyrus — they also have three axles not like the Diamond type bogies and the gauge is five feet like we have in Finland. I would like to get information of these bogies — maybe they some US type. Here is some pictures of C70 steam shovel as working condition in Finland in the beginning of 1900´s century, I hope that you will get the idea of bogies. I would be very happy if someone of you have information of this bogie type.

Petri Sallinen
Helsinki, Finland
The three axle bogies are of the Fox-type.

Picture more than 800 pixels wide: http://www.drehgestelle.de/2/fox_jhw.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.drehgestelle.de/2/pbn_fox.html At the page you can also see a finish Fox-type bogie.