Railroad Forums 

• C32-8

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#114701  by CR6618

I liked them, especially on BUOI/OIBU. Matched sets also ran out of Cedar Hill on the NHSE/SENH, among others.
 #128611  by NHRDC121

If you think you're going to hear a lot of "stack talk and barking" from a "Camel", or it's other 12 cylinder partner, the C30-7A, you're "barking up the wrong tree!" When those things took over the old Boston & Albany back in 1984, the "silence was deafening", compared to the mixed bag EMD/GE "U" series lashups which used to run there and let you know they were coming from miles away.

#132702  by SOU2645

TerryC wrote:Does a C32-8 sound diiferent than other General Electric locomotives? There is a strong chance that I am going to photograph it this summer and I want to be prepared to meet this locomotive version of lonesome George. What numbers does it have and what is the name of the quarry.

I hate to break this to you - but Junction City Mining will not welcome you with open arms (handcuffs perhaps). They are VERY hostile and the pic you see on RP was taken earlier this spring while the unit awaited shipping to Progress Rail in Waycross GA for an overhaul after the yahoo's that operate the rail equipment froze the block up. It was parked alongside CSX's mainline where it was accessible - most of the time it stays hidden inside the quarry which is heavily staffed by security guards. In other words - don't waste your time.
SOU2645

#133428  by SOU2645

TerryC wrote:You mean it is not going to be scrapped!!! YES!!! Or am I confused? You are probably kicking yourself SOU2645, but I am going to call up the quarry ASAP.

not really...I took lots of slides of it while it sat waiting for CSX to move it. Good luck - but I doubt you'll get in there. They do not allow cameras on the property.
SOU2645

#140476  by shortlinerailroader

C32-8 has FDL-12

Also, I saw CR 8200(?), a C39-8, today at the yard.

#208247  by Engineer Spike

I used to camp out at MP 130 , on the B&A. The C32-8s were often mixed with the C30-7A. They weren't very loud. The real talkers were the B23-7s. They would put about 5 or 6 on a road train. This often happened on the weekends. I assume that they would send a set of them back to Selkirk for service.

#211454  by SOU2645

Just as an update - the unit was sold to Progress Rail and moved to Waycross GA and apparently scrapped. It was replaced with 2 leased C30-7's. However at least 6 C32's are still at RMDI as it was confirmed recently. They are also unfriendly to fans so getting pics of them won't come easy.
Larry

#211505  by MEC407

Engineer Spike wrote:They weren't very loud. The real talkers were the B23-7s.
That is interesting, considering that they both used basically the same engine -- the 12cyl FDL. You'd think that they'd sound pretty similar.

#211959  by SOU2645

MEC407 wrote:
Engineer Spike wrote:They weren't very loud. The real talkers were the B23-7s.
That is interesting, considering that they both used basically the same engine -- the 12cyl FDL. You'd think that they'd sound pretty similar.

The C32's had exhaust silencers - the C30-7A's and B30-7A's weren't all that loud either compared to Dash 7's built before 1980 like all CR B23's.
Larry

#211989  by MEC407

I've often wondered how much of a difference the exhaust silencers actually make, though. Some of these big Dash 9s I see/hear every now and then actually chug and bark louder than the old U-boats, despite having exhaust silencers.

#214008  by U-Haul

Where is RMDI? is it in Pittston or Lehighton, Pennsylvania?

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

#217048  by scottychaos

Sadly, I think it has been pretty well established that the C32-8 in Georgia was the only survivor...which means if it has in fact been scrapped, no C32-8's exist any more.. :(

but! could the idea that all the rest, except the one Georgia unit, have been scrapped simply be incorrect information that has been passed down and accepted as fact..when it might *not* be true afterall??
these things have been known to happen...

the only on-line reference I could find to the other C32-8's being scrapped at RMDI is vague and second hand..its not conclusive.
then just repeats of that statement in various internet forums..

there ARE in fact some conrail "ballast express" units stored at RMDI in Pittston, PA at this moment..but they might be C39-8's..
no road numbers are visable in the photos I have seen..

can anyone confirm if any C39-8's also wore the Conrail grey "ballast express" scheme??
if yes, then the units at RMDI are most likely the 39's..
but if NO..then its possible at least two C32-8's are still stored there!!
:P

here are the best pics of the RMDI yard..(former LVRR "Coxton" yard..located in Pittston, PA)

you can see some of the ballast express units in some of the pics.
these photos are from January 2006

http://www.kachurak.com/Coxton.pdf

Scot

#217149  by MEC407

scottychaos wrote:you can see some of the ballast express units in some of the pics.
these photos are from January 2006

http://www.kachurak.com/Coxton.pdf
Have you tried sending an e-mail to the author of that report and inquiring about the Ballast Express units in the photo? The report does mention that the author took many other photos which weren't included in the report; maybe he has photos of those units, and/or knows whether they are the units you're looking for.

#217460  by SOU2645

Those are C32-8's and it has been established that at least 6 survive at RMDI. Only C32's got the grey scheme.
Larry