Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #853604  by iceman977th

Anyone know more about this line? I've found a couple pages which have intrigued me about the former line. I'm planning to go out via Rush to my girlfriend's in Grayson following as much near the former ROW of the line as possible (She lives a mile or two from the railroad bridge in Hitchins.

For those curious...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... _n9303502/

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Lexington_Subdivision
 #926013  by whjco

There were actually two railroads that ran through Hitchens, the C & O and the EK. The EK came from Greenup through Grayson, turned for a short distance and paralleled the C&O through Hitchens before it went south. If the railroad bridge you're referring to is west and north of Hitchens and you can drive through it, then you're driving on the old EK railbed and there are actually two bridges fairly close together and another that's north of Grayson. Between Hitchens and Leon there are three C&O bridges that cross the Little Sandy River that you can also drive through.

If you follow the line to Denton, there's the remnants of the old AC&I turntable up on the side of the hill.

I've got a lot of pictures and videos that I took of the final days and the last through train ran on June 25th, 1895.

Bill Johnson, Lexington, KY
 #935860  by iceman977th

Thanks for the (albeit late) reply Bill! I don't date the girl out that way anymore, but I still sit outside of my house & imagine watching Chessie units hauling freight at track speed past here (in Meads). I know (partially) where the EK ran, where did it meet along the C&O main? What happened to the landfill idea south of 64? I know the new ESIX landfill is in place in Princess, but it looks like there was another 2-3 miles left that ended just past KY 854.

I'd LOVE to see any of those pictures/videos, especially along the remaining portion of the line, & from Ashland to Hitchens at least. I dream of a day when the ROW will be rebought & the Lex will live again. Thanks again.
 #1075729  by CoryClaxon

I'm from the Leon/Grayson area... I'm mainly intrested in the C&O railway that ran through Hitchins/Denton/Leon/Olive Hill, etc... Any pictures or video would appreciated. Sorry for late response.
 #1076280  by CoryClaxon

iceman977th wrote:
CoryClaxon wrote:I am also very intrested in the railway that ran in this area, I am a native of Cater County, pictures and videos would be nice.

Thanks,
Cory Claxon
[email protected]
http://CoryClaxon.com
What part of Carter Co? I checked the C&OHS's website, and they have a few pictures from Rush, Denton, Hitchins, Olive Hill, etc.
Pretty much any part of Carter County, focusing on Hitchins, Olive Hill, Aden, Denton, and Leon. I'm looking for anything I can find, pictures, videos, sounds. I really wish it still ran through. I'd like to get a RR Historical Society started in Olive Hill's depot.