Railroad Forums 

• C-628 with steam generator and dynamics

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1091295  by mandealco

Hi
Just saw something really cool. On E-bay at the moment, there's a slide of Chihuahua-Pacific C-628 #904. It's the only 6-axle Century that I have seen with both steam generator and dynamic brakes.

A six axle Century with the roof mounted dynamic brakes. The only other similarly equipped Alco would have been the proposal for a C-636P in 1967. I have a nearly completed C-636P in N-Scale, but never thought I'd see that combination on a real Alco. I don't think 904 was built that way, a builder's photo of 903 shows it to be a standard C-628. Just wanted to share my excitement.
Cheers
Steve
 #1091303  by Allen Hazen

Here
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ndem/ndem8324ary.jpg
courtesy of George Ellwood's invaluable "Fallen Flags" rail image site, is a picture of NdeM 8324 new at the Alco plant: roof-mounted dynamic brakes, steam generator (note vents on side of s.g. compartment and vent on roof). Change the final 4 in the number in the URL to a 2 for a photo-- not so close-up-- suggesting that 8322 and 8323 were similarly equipped.

I'm not sure that the fact that Ch-P 903 didn't have a steam generator necessarily indicates that 904's s.g. was an after-market modification. I have a feeling that Mexican railroads sometimes ordered just as many s.g.-equipped units as they thought they needed, numbering them in the same series with "normal" units ordered at the same time. NdeM's U36CG units were in the same number series (8900s) as their freight-only U36C.

But your discovery is still neat! Mexican railroads aren't as well-known to Norteamericano rail fans as they should be. I didn't realize that ANY C628 were built with the s.g. option until I saw the 8324 photo at George Ellwood's site.
 #1091312  by mandealco

Thanks Allen for the info on the Mexican units. Nice photo of the 8324. It's even more unusual as it was built with the C-630 style cab, as some of the last C-628 were.

Cheers
Steve
 #1165638  by Tadman

Great find. I've always liked the 628 but the accepted wisdom was, although Alco specifically designed it for dual service with space behind-cab for a steam gen, none were equipped as such. This discussion clearly proves otherwise.

It's also funny that the Tyco C630 gets brought up - I found one once at a hobby shop for $2. It wasn't running, but I bought it to put on my desk. It was lettered for Illinois Central, and I'm pretty sure they bought no/few Alcos. Certainly no C630s.