Railroad Forums 

• C-628 DOES EXIST !!!!!!!!!!!

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#272819  by GOLDEN-ARM

Unless it has been recently scrapped, I have report from Kel Aiken, of a lone C-628, on the FerroCarril de Suresta. No indication of it's lineage, or if it is running, but it is reported to be stored, on the property. Can anyone else confirm this? It is supposed to be stored, in Puebla, Mexico. I have been trying to contact someone, at this link, to help verify stored equippment: http://www.ferrosur.com.mx/gxpsites/hgx ... ;1;4;3;MNU;,

Will keep you posted, if I find any good news.......... :-D

#272859  by scottychaos

GA,
very cool!
I dont know if this is one of the "known" C628's in Mexico,
or a previously unknown one.

the general concensus, from what I can gather from the internet,
is there are three known C-628's remaining in the world..
here is a post from another thread:

There are 3 known surviving C628's in the world,
all are in museums.
2 in Mexico, and 1 in Australia:
one is ex D&H.

http://www.thedieselshop.us/PRSVDalcoCC.HTML
http://www.celorio.com/mfy/roster.htm

http://alcoworld.railfan.net/phs.htm
http://locopage.railpage.org.au/private/hi_20.html

as recently as 1999 there were EIGHT C628's spotted in Mexico!
http://alcoworld.railfan.net/mexico.htm
are all these units now scrapped?
(except for the two that are confirmed at the Yucatan museum?)

So is this perhaps a fourth survivor?! :P
could be!

Scotr

#273104  by N. Todd

Of those eight C-628s you speak of, I can confirm that most of them (I have numbers somewhere) were sold to NRE (as were Hamersley Iron's M-636s) and cut up by local scrappers in 2002. However, with the discovery of the direlict M-630 in Valle de Mexico in early 2005, it is quite possible that another C-628 may still exist.

On the MEXLIST group, someone told me that in 2001, the hood and incomplete cab of ex-Chihuahua al Pacifico 901 was stored behind a shop.

No information appears as to the disposition of the CN C-424s that went to NdeM (or any of them for that matter)

#273187  by sallenparks

Some of the info on the net I've seen says FCP 606and D&H 606,608,610 and 618 are somewhere in a museum 610 is even getting D&H colors.
 #273277  by Komachi

Unless anyone here has the connections or clout that Doyle MacCormak has, I doubt there's much chance of repatriation.

Although, I would like to see it happen (hey, I'm a historian, seeing another piece of American railroading history back on "home ground" would be a good thing).

But first, one needs to confirm or refute the existence of said "orphan" before any plans are to be made.

#273288  by GOLDEN-ARM

Someone confirms it exists, and I'm there, with camera, and interpreter friend of mine (fellow employee, with a heritage from "south of the border") I would buy it, if it did exist, and was saleable. Still waiting for a special Valley loco, to come along for sale, this would fit the bill. I even have a railroad, in NM, to store/run it on!!!! :-D

#273290  by GOLDEN-ARM

N.Todd said, "most" of them were scrapped. What locos are left, and where? He is the editor of the loco rosters, in The Railroad Press magazine, and he does verify the Alco sightings, before forwarding them on. I have not been able to nail him down, about this source, though.
 #273305  by Komachi

Hey, you get a confirmation, and I'll find a way to get down to your neck of the woods and head down there with you (ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!)!

Seriously though, if there's a C-628 still down there that can be repatriated, I'd be willing to give time and energy to the project (kinda short on cash, but willing to give a little to that too).

Keep us posted on this.

#273309  by GOLDEN-ARM

I spent the last 3 years, working every day, contracting. The bucks are stashed, waiting for a Valley loco, or reasonable facsimile. I think about a Relco HH600, every now and then............... :-D

#273312  by N. Todd

First, I'd thought you guys would find this interesting: (3/02/2006)
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/M ... sage/10199
He is the editor of the loco rosters, in The Railroad Press magazine, and he does verify the Alco sightings, before forwarding them on. I have not been able to nail him down, about this source, though.
Are you referring to Ken (or Keith?) Ardinger?

I recall it was "Mr Slides" (Benson) who disclosed the NRE sale.
Offhand, I KNOW the following (sticking to a certain braket of units) were scrapped:
CHP 902-904
NDM/FNM 8300, 8303, 8305.
I would buy it, if it did exist, and was saleable
And pay for shipping? :-D
Last edited by N. Todd on Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#273336  by GN 599

So Golden Arm is there a chance that this possible survivor is an ex LV motor? That would be cool. If it does exist make a scrap bid on it, cash talks b.s. walks.... :P Any Alco is a good Alco :-D . I am like you Golden Arm, I got a stash for an Alco (I shouldnt mention it on this forum but I would make more money with an EMD product) but I am looking for an SP&S Alco, I think you guys back East have em all though! :-)

#273651  by GOLDEN-ARM

I am not sure it exists, but if it did, I would offer a cash sale, or loco trade, if reasonable. some places won't part with pieces, from their collections, but they might consider trades, for something they need/want, but can't afford outright. I have been trying (unsucessfully) to locate the owners, or info on any people involved with Direct Reduction, in Tennessee. They owned, and still have sitting on their abandoned property, an original LV SW-1, still in it's final paint. Would need to be trucked, or loaded out in a gon, or on a flat. I have given up, after several months of dead-end leads, and dubious stories. (someone suggested I just "claim" it, and have it trucked away, as it has been abandoned) It would be killer, in it's original pre-war paint, as would a HH600, or HH660. We have a couple of Alco S units, at the end of our line. They have been sitting in our yard, for 10 years now. They were purchased by a man, who wanted to operate his own locos, on his own property. The man was not allowed to construct a railroad on his proerty, so he sold them, to another man, who wanted to part them out, for the air compressors, and main generators. Friction bearings prevented him, from moving them, to where he wanted them, so here they sit. They appear to be a S-6 and possibly a S-11, but no identification can be found, on them anywhere. The mines where they worked, are long shut down. At the time of storage, they both ran, and were in daily service.Not anything the Valley rostered, so I have no real interest, myself....... :-D

#273686  by Alcoman

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I am not sure it exists, but if it did, I would offer a cash sale, or loco trade, if reasonable. some places won't part with pieces, from their collections, but they might consider trades, for something they need/want, but can't afford outright. I have been trying (unsucessfully) to locate the owners, or info on any people involved with Direct Reduction, in Tennessee. They owned, and still have sitting on their abandoned property, an original LV SW-1, still in it's final paint. Would need to be trucked, or loaded out in a gon, or on a flat. I have given up, after several months of dead-end leads, and dubious stories. (someone suggested I just "claim" it, and have it trucked away, as it has been abandoned) It would be killer, in it's original pre-war paint, as would a HH600, or HH660. We have a couple of Alco S units, at the end of our line. They have been sitting in our yard, for 10 years now. They were purchased by a man, who wanted to operate his own locos, on his own property. The man was not allowed to construct a railroad on his proerty, so he sold them, to another man, who wanted to part them out, for the air compressors, and main generators. Friction bearings prevented him, from moving them, to where he wanted them, so here they sit. They appear to be a S-6 and possibly a S-11, but no identification can be found, on them anywhere. The mines where they worked, are long shut down. At the time of storage, they both ran, and were in daily service.Not anything the Valley rostered, so I have no real interest, myself....... :-D
Do you have any photos of the Alcos? I can help identfy what they are.

#273827  by GN 599

I have seen pics of that SW1 Golden Arm. That would be a good one. Real simple to work on and you probably could make money leasing it if you wanted to. As a west coaster I wish you luck, Cornell red is one of the sharpest paint schemes ever. The LV is similar to my near and dear SP&S, big enough to be a class 1 but small enough to be a regional. :wink: