Railroad Forums 

• C-420 Builders Drawings

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#855413  by bleedinred

Hello, I have "googled" on every key word I can think of looking for detailed drawings for the C420 but have had absolutely no luck. A search of the forum has turned up nothing as well.

Does anyone know where I can find detailed drawing of the C420. I would like to build a 1/32 scale model of the thing and don't want to have to reverse engineer the Atlas HO model to determine the exact size/dimensions for the build. Plus, I would like to be a little more accurate in the details.

Tim
 #855665  by bleedinred

Thanks for the reply.

I saw that link in my initial search. I can find lots of links with drawings that contain general dimensions (such as overall length and width) but I am looking for something that has detailed dimensions as well.

Perhaps what I am looking for does not exist.
 #855758  by Marty Feldner

Not online (there was a time when nothing was online), but-

Extra 2200 South, Issue 62 (Oct Nov Dec 1977) covers the C-420's in depth, including Win Cuisinier drawings of a Phase I. Full roster info as of that date, lots of photos and information.

You should also take a look at this thread on Railfan.net's Lehigh Valley forum:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1280115230
 #855961  by tgibson

Hi,

I guess I don't understand what you want. If the major dimensions are noted and there is a scale on the drawing (or make your own), then everything can be scaled off the drawing? I've rarely seen a drawing of a RR locomotive more detailed than that either on the web or elsewhere. (I'm not saying they don't exist, just that they are not typically available to the average fan).
 #856126  by bleedinred

Found what I was looking for...sort of....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/manual/cmanf1-1.jpg

I would like to find something a little more detailed as far as showing the measurements for the curves on the hood, etc. Think of it this way, when Atlas decided to make the HO scale C420, they went out and took measurements. I would have thought that there would be blueprints from ALCO that contain all the original engineering specs.

Thanks for the input!
 #857365  by JhnZ33

bleedinred wrote:Found what I was looking for...sort of....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/manual/cmanf1-1.jpg

I would like to find something a little more detailed as far as showing the measurements for the curves on the hood, etc. Think of it this way, when Atlas decided to make the HO scale C420, they went out and took measurements. I would have thought that there would be blueprints from ALCO that contain all the original engineering specs.

Thanks for the input!
Good luck! I am in the process of scratchbuilding a C420 in 1/24th scale and found the same things everyone else here found - that there isn't too much and what is there leaves much to be desired. What I did was to take reference from drawings on the Railroad Paint shop, from the century manual, scaled them up to 1/24 and referenced to many, many different photos. There was also an article on LV C420's in Flags, Diamonds and Statues Vol 8, No. 2 published by the ARHS which also has drawings.

JP
Attachments:
C420_Mod48.jpg
C420_Mod48.jpg (99.68 KiB) Viewed 5537 times