Railroad Forums 

• Bypassing the Conductor's Exam?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1452339  by Hudson2640

On the week of Thanksgiving I was contacted by Amtrak to take the online assessment text. I've taken it numerous times in the past, but this time the test was more involved. Besides the standard personality section there was a timed reading comprehension section (2 minutes per question) and a math section. This past Monday I was invited to take the conductor's exam via email, but the next day I was contacted directly by an HR rep and told to skip the exam and go strait to the physical. I have that set up for this week. Has this ever happened to anyone before or is this something new that Amtrak is trying?
 #1452342  by Acela150

I believe that Amtrak has now switched testing to online. Which is a better option. Saves Amtrak time. HR can look at the test results and see if someone has passed or failed. Much easier then inviting dozens or hundreds of people to take the test and wait for the results. If they're asking for you to take a physical they must want to hire you. Tip.. Get that Physical done ASAP. That's how Amtrak establishes seniority.

I've received several online tests recently. I took one for the R&I Clerk and have an interview this week. While I'd prefer a T&E job, it's a foot in the door. That's all I want.
 #1452368  by tundraboomer

I had taken the CFA test just last month, but got a message to retake it during the Thanksgiving holiday. As the OP described, it was just like the first one but with additional reading comprehension and math questions added on. Much more comprehensive than the first one. Still, I got called in to interview, but this was for a engineer trainee position, not a conductor position.

I would imagine the hiring policies differ somewhat from location to location. You have received a gift from heaven OP. Take advantage of it while you can!
 #1452467  by Hudson2640

Thanks guys, and best of luck to you both.

I'm taking my physical tomorrow, orientation on Thursday, and Interview on Friday. Busy week for me.
 #1452483  by Acela150

Hudson2640 wrote:Thanks guys, and best of luck to you both.

I'm taking my physical tomorrow, orientation on Thursday, and Interview on Friday. Busy week for me.
To me this just seems backwards.. Why give you a physical and then interview you??
 #1453592  by Hudson2640

Got the phone call on the other day and was given the conditional offer. The HR rep told me that I'll have good seniority in my class. Not bad considering I've been applying for a railroad job for over 2 years now. If all goes well with my background check and drug test (I don't expect any problems) I'll be in Delaware by the end of January.
 #1453656  by Acela150

Hudson2640 wrote:Got the phone call on the other day and was given the conditional offer. The HR rep told me that I'll have good seniority in my class. Not bad considering I've been applying for a railroad job for over 2 years now. If all goes well with my background check and drug test (I don't expect any problems) I'll be in Delaware by the end of January.
Congrats! I start working in the Reservation Center on January 15th. Where will you be working out of??