Railroad Forums 

• Businesses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#85552  by PDT009

What businesses are served directly (rail spur) by NS on between Hackettstown and Phillipsburg, NJ? If any?

#85593  by Lackawanna484

There's a large chemicals / fertilizer plant about two miles west of Hackettstown. Always has covered hoppers in their yard.

#85640  by Scrap The U34CH

BASF in Washington.
 #86078  by PDT009

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
I don't suppose M&M is still using rail service these days?
I haven't lived in the area for quite some time but, I'm curious about what's going on in NW Jersey.

Pete

#86114  by Scrap The U34CH

Yes, MnM does get service. I forgot about them.

#86203  by Lackawanna484

Scrap The U34CH wrote:Yes, MnM does get service. I forgot about them.
Isn't M&M east of the Hackettstown train station?

How frequently does M&M get service now? I understood they had switched to mostly truck a few years ago, so a return to rail is a big plus.

#86272  by cjvrr

Also business in Washington where the Old DL&W main split off the line to Phillipsburg. Also a chemical plant in Washington itself.

AFAIK the NYS&W unloads the sugar used at M&M at Sparta, NJ. It is then trucked to Hackettstown. Maybe NS delivers some other products directly to M&M.

Chris

#86330  by nick11a

Lackawanna484 wrote:
Scrap The U34CH wrote:Yes, MnM does get service. I forgot about them.
Isn't M&M east of the Hackettstown train station?

How frequently does M&M get service now? I understood they had switched to mostly truck a few years ago, so a return to rail is a big plus.
Yeah, I think MnM is indeed a bit east of Hackettstown Train Station. Not sure about how much service they get though.

#86346  by njt4172

My friend lives in Hackettstown and said he doesn't think M&M now called Master foods gets anything shipped by rail. I will have to further investigate this....

Steve

#86354  by Lackawanna484

njt4172 wrote:My friend lives in Hackettstown and said he doesn't think M&M now called Master foods gets anything shipped by rail. I will have to further investigate this....

Steve
I thought Mars was off the NS grid, altogether, although they do get a special shipment every once in a purple moon. Mars received a shipment last year which caused people to rush to Hackettstown to photo the event
 #88343  by PDT009

Thank you all for the information.
I appreciate your taking the time.

Pete

#88497  by washingtonsecondary

Lackawanna484 wrote:There's a large chemicals / fertilizer plant about two miles west of Hackettstown. Always has covered hoppers in their yard.
I live across the street from M&M mars, and I am getting very familar with the area. I don't know what plant your talking about. The only plant I know of on the line is BASF in washington about 15 miles west of Hackettstown. This is the largest customer on the secondary for NS. Although from what I've been told and from what I've seen it seems that the switch jobs running in and out of BASF for the last month have been quick to drop off and pick up. Could just be the normal cycle of business but if BASF was to drop its rail deliveries I don't know if NS would be intrested in keeping the secondary operating. There is also a lumber and plastics company on the old old main in washington, but they are small time customers (AFAIK).

And I can confirm that M&M (AKA Masterfoods) Doesn't get rail service right now. They have a tremendous amount of trucks in and out at all hours of the night and day.

#88524  by Lackawanna484

washingtonsecondary wrote:
Lackawanna484 wrote:There's a large chemicals / fertilizer plant about two miles west of Hackettstown. Always has covered hoppers in their yard.
I live across the street from M&M mars, and I am getting very familar with the area. I don't know what plant your talking about. The only plant I know of on the line is BASF in washington about 15 miles west of Hackettstown.
Come out of the NJT Hackettstown station, and turn right onto the main road (Rockport Road?). Head southwest, and pass under the narrow bridge, and go up the hill on the main road, in the direction of the Pheasant Farm. The railroad is now on your left.

Look to your left at the large covered buildings with the five or six track holding area and the covered hoppers and tank cars on the north side of the train line.

That's the place I'm thinking of. Next time I go by, I'll check the name and get a street address.

#88585  by njt4172

But nobody knows the name of this facility>???

#88661  by PDT009

I know it's east of Hackettstown but, I was surprised to see that there is no spur siding at Saxton Falls Sand & Gravel. I don't know if that means they "never" use the railroad for transport but, don't think it means they are frequent customers.
Also, there are new businesses going up in an industrial development area east of Hackettstown (Bilby Rd. area or there abouts). Is there any indication of rail service to these businesses?